Lifting my heavy old cast iron radiator! Help please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After taking the sound advice on this forum I decided to remove my radiators and clean them in the garden to get rid of the thick sludge that is blocking them up.

I started with the radiator in the lounge. Closed the valve and the lockshield, undid the nuts and slowly drained the radiator. So far so good...

However, i totally underestimated how heavy these things are! As soon as I undid the wall fittings it fell on the floor and now I can't shift it.

Luckily it all looks undamaged, but it is too heavy to move. I have given up on trying to flush it, but I can't even get it back on the wall.

Can anyone help. Is there a good way to do this?

The picture is below (magazine is to show scale)

Help please! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Phone a friend/relative and ask for help.

I've really no idea what the reclaimers would pay you for these sort of radiators (if anything) but having them come out to take it away is one option.

I would be looking for at least a couple of strong volunteers, family or neighbours maybe, to get it back up in position onto some blocks while you screw it back on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Get someone who knows what to do to refit them.

Local plumber/heating eng.

Hmmm. Thanks guys! I'm still pretty stuck then with this ridiculously heavy radiator.

I don't want to get rid of it. It was one of the reasons I liked the house in the first place!

Sounds like i will just have to try again with more manpower. Thought there might be some kind of hoist that would do it. Hey ho

If it looks heavy, it probably is. What did you think would happen? At least you can clean the dust off the skirting. Every cloud, eh.

In all seriousness you will need at least 3 more able bodied persons to lift that back in position and secure it- it is simply a matter of man power! :rolleyes:

I had to remove a couple of these recently so the customer could have their kitchen floor levelled and tiled and new kitchen.

I said I would drain but couldn't remove from the house they would have to arrange for that.
They said there were 4 kitchen fitters coming so they would probably manage it....

They had to get a piano removal company in to move them and reposition them for me to re fit.

So based on that try your local on call piano movers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back