Noisy toilet when flushed - like a foghorn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm definitely no plumbing expert and for the past 18 mths my ensuite toilet has been making a loud foghorn type noise when flushed. I have a ball valve inlet. I googled it and someone suggested adjusting the isolater to reduce the water pressure which I have done and it does (touch wood) appear to have stopped the noise. The only thing is now the cistern is really slow to fill and the little tap attached to the inlet valve drips for around 40 mins.
Is this the best solution or should I be looking to either change the diaphragm washer or replace the whole inlet valve? If it is the latter should I be looking to change it to those new adjustable filling valves instead of ball valve?
Any advice really appreciated thanks.
:)

Sponsored Links
Hi Emma, the noise you hear is the washer inside the fill valve vibrating - they can produce the most ridiculous sounds!
A new washer will sort it, so long as the valve isn't so crusty it refuses to come apart.....
The old ball valve systems work perfectly well, by the way but there's nothing to stop you using a more modern one if you want to - so long as it will physically fit!
John :)

Ah me old mucker john! Great to hear from you again. When you say washer do you mean the 32mm solid one (which looks like a plug to me) or the one with a hole in the middle (like a typical washer)? I took it apart earlier and saw the 2 of them. Many thanks.

Aha yours to command, etc :p
It's the solid one, Emma......with the centre that has a slight raise in it.
They are readily available from diy sheds.
It sounds like your valve has come apart quite easily? Sometimes the big plastic nut gets stuck big time, but it sounds like your luck is in!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks John, yes I managed to unscrew it fine and I've seen the following on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballvalve...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item35bb893b0d

but also saw this kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181237835815?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is it worth going for the kit in case it's the cone or other washer which is needing replaced or just go for the diaphragm washer in your opinion?

Its just the diaphragm washer you need, Emma - the other bits in your first link are to suit other valve applications too.
It would be Wickes or B&Q, Homebase or whatever for me - just for speed though.
Well done for getting stuck in!!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Great thanks. just spotted them online at b&q so I'll get them tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's advice - an absolute godsend.
:D

Hi, just a wee update in case anyone else has similar problem. Part arrived today from ebay (b&q was only 30 mm not 32 mm). Took couple of mins to fit it, turned water pressure back up via isolator and Bob's your uncle - no foghorn noise. Next problem was cistern filled up about an inch higher than water level mark so I sussed out how to adjust screw on float arm and water is now sitting about 1 cm below water level mark. Just out of curiousity John should the water be on the water level mark or below it or does it not really matter?

Hi Emma and many congrats on a successful job so far!
The difference in the water level now is just down to the new washer being slightly thicker than the old one.
So, a low water level in the cistern may give rise to poor flushing, if you have a syphon flush valve fitted. So I'd recommend raising the level to the line inside the cistern.
Personally I like as much water to go down the loo as is possible per flush....keeps the drains happy!
Regards
P.S I really need to get out more...... :p

Spoke too soon - when I flush the toilet there seems to be a drip from the big plastic nut that I had to unscrew to take the arm off the ball valve. Would this be due to the smaller black washer that you have to take off before you get to the little cone? Did a search on ebay and it came up with a fibre washer. Is this what I should be ordering do you know?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBRE-WAS...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item46079c2075

Not sure if this is relevant but the blue tap thingy which the water comes out of to fill cistern also keeps dripping once cistern is full and is wet at it's base.
Would new washer stop this or any other tips?
Thanks.

Flummoxed - a trip to b&q, got a fibre washer for ball valve seat, changed washer and still same problem. The only thing left is an o-ring but losing will to live here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back