Water Meter - Leaking Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have been living in a new place for the past four months. Just after we moved in, the water company fitted a new supply pipe and a new meter for us.

I checked it out of curiosity on the 8th November and it read 152.218. I looked again today and it is now 153 378. I left it for an hour and it then read 153 379.

My conclusion is that there is a small leak that must be leaking approx 1l per hour. This would make 24l per day and account for 2.88 cubic metres since we arrived.

I rang the water company who will send someone round to look at this problem. There are just two people living here and we can't possibly have used that much water. On average, two people should use approx 110 cubic metres per year, yet we have exceeded this in just four months.

Is it likely that the water meter is faulty, or have I missed something obvious?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
The toilet doesn't appear to be leaking. It's not push button, it has a handle.

After my last post, I turned the stopcock off inside. I then checked the meter after one hour and it is now 153 390, an increase of 11, where as before, it only went up 1 when the stopcock was on.

Does this make any sense to anyone?!

Sponsored Links
I would be more concerned about why the water meter seems to have run backwards between the 8th november and now ;)

I have corrected it, it should have read 152.218 rather than 156.218!

If there was a leak between the meter and internal stopcock, wouldn't the water be leaking at the same rate whether the internal stopcock was on or off?

If there is a very leak between the meter and your stopcock inside then the leak is most likely your responsibility to repair.

We recently had water spraying out of the meter pit. It was caused by failure of the plastic meter inlet valve. Luckily for us it was the responsibility of the water co. ;)

blimy 110cum off water that in excess off 3 years for me lol and my very shower freindly son 30 cubm a year is 80L as day 2 for drinking 5 for dishes 5 for washing clothes[3 washes 2 weeks] 10 swowers 2 weeks and 1 bath 2 weeks and 3 toilet flushes [7l] a day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back