Service Head replacement - who pays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ancient cast iron service head started whining this morning. Note the black tar leaking at the bottom.

UK Power Networks called and sending an engineer. But they've already stated this is a 'grey area' for responsibility for replacement...

Anybody offer any experience in this area? Who pays?

Sponsored Links
My ancient cast iron service head started whining this morning. Note the black tar leaking at the bottom. ... UK Power Networks called and sending an engineer. But they've already stated this is a 'grey area' for responsibility for replacement... Anybody offer any experience in this area? Who pays?
If they deem it to need replacement, they obviously have to replace it at their cost (they own it, and have a duty to ensure that it's safe). If they say that it is OK/safe, I'm not sure that they would necessarily change it even if you asked them to - but, if they did, presumably they might well charge you. However, they are the experts - so if they said it were OK, there probably would be no need to have it replaced.

Some of the DNO guys here will probably be able to give you an opinion as to whether they think it needs changing. I have a feeling that a cast iron head which is leaking 'tar'/bitumin might well be regarded as warranting replacement.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

There's also the matter of the high-pitched whine that's coming from the service head... We'll see and I'll update thread for reference.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. There's also the matter of the high-pitched whine that's coming from the service head... We'll see and I'll update thread for reference.
That sounds definitely wrong, and a bit worrying. Are UKPN treating the engineer's visit as 'urgent'? I look forward to hearing of the outcome.

Kind Regards, John

Yes. They've promised someone today. In the meantime, asked that I reduce load as much as possible...

Yes. They've promised someone today. In the meantime, asked that I reduce load as much as possible...
That's great. They are usually very good with urgent/emergency calls - they've been known to turn up within an hour (they must hide behind bushes all over the place!)! I look forward to hearing what they say/decide.

Kind Regards, John

If it's to be replaced down to condition, it will be down to UKPN to just do it, which IMO, it will be.

IF you're supplier wanted to do anything to their meter, chances are they wouldn't touch it and get in contact with UKPN to get it changed before they touch it.

If they have not visited by tonight, then phone it in again. Are you getting a flickering supply? Is it 'warm' to touch?

If you phone it in 'after hours', they will send a trouble man / jointer to have a look and they will more than likely put it in for a change.

Hope this helps.

In the meantime move the WD40 aerosol and anything else flammable a little further away :oops:

That was the first thing the guy said just now. :oops:

So, huge embarrassment on my part but the whine turned out to be coming from a efergy electricity meter monitoring thing in the same cupboard. :oops:
I did check that as soon as I heard it but it was one of those whines that was really difficult to pinpoint the source for.

Anyway, he's put in for a replacement but it's a long lead time. The leaking pitch (sp.?) was pretty minor he thought and didn't warrant any emergency action. But he said calling them was the right thing to do.

As for who would pay for a replacement, it would be them, he assured me.

So, in short, nothing to see here (apart from my blushes).

Thanks for all your help everyone.

So, huge embarrassment on my part but the whine turned out to be coming from a efergy electricity meter monitoring thing in the same cupboard. :oops: I did check that as soon as I heard it but it was one of those whines that was really difficult to pinpoint the source for. ... Anyway, he's put in for a replacement but it's a long lead time. The leaking pitch (sp.?) was pretty minor he thought and didn't warrant any emergency action. But he said calling them was the right thing to do. ... As for who would pay for a replacement, it would be them, he assured me.
Thanks for the update. I don't think you need to feel too embarrassed - most of us have done far worse in our time :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back