choosing tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one select a make?

Asking 'the experts' is no good - visit 4 different tyre shops and you'll get 4 different recomendations!

Is it best just to go by the 3 ratings (noise, fuel efficiency, wet grip)?

What about longevity? Dry grip? etc etc

Comparing online suppliers for my Audi A3 I find

michlin Primacy 3 HP
Bridgestone RE002 91W
Continental Sport Contact 5 91W
Dunlop SportMaxx RT
Goodyear efficient grip performance

All similar prices and similar ratings.

Sponsored Links
Most will give you the option of a cheaper equivalent?
All the above are top brands and should be adequate for your needs, so pricing will dictate, nearly all tyre purchases

Out of that choice I'd go for Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone and the longevity will largely depend on the weight of your right foot :p
Maybe something in the region of 22k miles for the fronts?
Some tyres do have a noise issue - I used to fit Maxxis quite often, but the noise was very distinctive, like a worn wheel bearing!
As Mursal says, lots of cheaper alternatives available.
John :)

Largely down to personal preference. Some cars feel nice on one some tyres, others feel awful on the same tyre. Did you like what was on there last time? If so, it might be best to go for more of the same. Wet grip ratings aren't the whole story, because the tests are done at lab temperature so, for example, a lot of winter tyres end up with lousy wet grip ratings. Also worth seeing what was fitted as original equipment and going for the same make, and as close to the same model as is currently available.

Sponsored Links
It depends how you are going to drive it, and what's important to you. If you are in a place that gets snow and ice, you may need a winter tyre and a summer tyre for best results.

I find Michelin Energy have tremendous mileage and are quiet. They are expensive. I find Michelin Pilots very good for a fast car. They are more expensive. Other people will have their own favourite brand. My old mum's car does so little mileage that the tyres aged before they were worn out, and were criticised on the MOT.

The European consumer organisations (including "Which") jointly (because it is an expensive test) run trials of popular tyre sizes every couple of years. If you give your tyre size I can look up some best buys. The most expensive is not always best, and the cheapest is not always worst.

"Black Circles" seem to have very keen prices, and you can order them to be fitted by your local tyre shop. I was interested to find, after buying tyres from my local, that if I had ordered the same tyre through BC, the same place would have fitted them, but at a lower price.

Have a look at the most recent 'Which?' report, they test them for wear, noise and grip. I usually buy budget tyres but there is not a lot of difference between the price of those and major manufacturers. I bought Michelin economy I think they are called for my 406 for only about £10 more than the budget ones. They are rated as being quiet and having the longest life, the grip was not as good as some but for the speed I drive at it doesn't matter.

Peter

Asking 'the experts' is no good - visit 4 different tyre shops and you'll get 4 different recomendations!

'Recommendations' can also depend upon what tyre outlet sells and also which would give them the maximum profit.

Boiler manufacturers regularly give away incentives to encourage installers to fit their boilers. Does this also happen in the tyre trade? If so with the obvious effect!!

As I said, check the 'Whch?' report, they don't have an axe to grind. If you don't know anyone who subscribes, post your tyre size and requirements and I will look them up for you.

Peter

Many thanks all.

The prices for the tyres I listed came from Black Circle, Tyresonline, F1 auto online, etyres etc. All were around £80 - £90 fully fitted.

Previously I've had Michelin Primacy HPs - partly because Michlin used to give a cashback fuel card with them!

225 / 45 / 17 / W 91W

Spec above if anyone has access to reports :D

I don't know what W 91 W means but it is the speed and load rating for your car.

there is a review for 225/45 R17 W/Y summer tyres if that's suitable? Of your original list the Continental looks best.

there were three best buys.
Prices may have changed since date of test.

Continental ContiSportContact 5 £95, Availability Good, test score 69%
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 £85 Good 67%
Pirelli Cinturato P7 £100 Good 67%

You can consult "Which" free at your local library.

Sponsored Links
Back