Porcelain tiles cut so slowly with wet saw- normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
newbie tiler here.
I hired a 550W Belle Minitile 180 table top wet saw tile cutter and cut through 20 odd 10mm slate tiles no problem yesterday for one room.

Today, I can hardly make a dent in 10mm porcelain tiles with the same saw for the bathroom.
The saw constantly stops and I have to restart, and when I do hit a good stretch I manage to cut maybe 1 cm in 2 mins if that, but not continuously, the saw always stops / jams.
So the question is, is this normal, it's just really really slow work? The slate is like butter in comparison. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the saw (well, we have to refill the water trough after every cut as it has a bloomin' leak), there's really not much to it.
Or would it help if I had the more powerful cutter from somewhere?
I'm about to cry!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, feedback or general laughter.

Sponsored Links
Yes its normal, but you might need a better\new blade.

That aside, a good dry cutter is far better for cutting porcelain\ceramics, with the wet cutter used just for the odd angled cut. Hire a RUBI TX to match your tile size (700 for a 600mm tile, and so on) you'll save hours

Thanks tpt, that's good to know. Reading about the wet saw I just assumed it was the best thing for all tile cutting, but I see there's so much more to it!
I'll try to get my hands on a Rubi manual cutter - there are only 4 tiles that need corners/angles luckily.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
just an update for anyone else who has a similar issue. I hired the saw from Brandon tool hire, and it was only 550W (1000W advertised on site).
Just hired another wet saw (as we have more slate anyway to cut) from Jewsons tool hire - a Norton make, much bigger, 1000W. Cuts beautifully.
So either an old blade or just under-powered?
Porcelain tiles are go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back