Memo to self: Your leg is not a cutting board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm an idiot. I was using a sharp Stanley knife to strip the insulation back on some cable. Sitting on the grass in the garden as it's for outdoor lights. Nothing to rest on so I used my leg. And the inevitable happened. Slipped, cut a gash in my thigh. Spent the rest of the afternoon in A&E waiting for my two stitches.
Still, I've learnt my lesson and will never do that again (yeah right) ;)

Sponsored Links
We've all done similar! I was cutting back some cable insulation in situ, and momentarily supported it with my hand.

Then I thought, hang on this could hur..... sliced my finger.

I'll no doubt do it again!

Stanley knives are both fantastic and dangerous, and should be treated with the utmost respect...

I was doing some carpet fitting last year, trimming the edge with a fresh blade, transferred the knife from one hand to the other and accidentaly rested it on the back of my thumb - no movement, no pressure, just the weight of the knife - and had to go get a plaster so I didn't bleed on the carpet.

OTOH, last thing you should ever do with a Stanley knife (or any knife for that matter) is cut with a blunt blade.

Trimming some plastic trapped under my knee while squatting and just nicked my leg a tiny bit , but due to tension from squatting opened up a big gash. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
I've just watched Monty Don, on Gardeners World, cutting a pot bound plant out of its plastic pot. He has the pot between his legs and is cutting forcefully towards his knadgers, with his trusty 'stab me vitals' knife. I couldn't believe this got past the BBC health and safety police. Of course I've never done that. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back