Rudimentary and theoretical mixer tap design - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am curious to learn if, in your expert opinions, the attached design for a mixer (hot and cold) water tap would work.

Basically, two lever valves, one on each of the hold and cold, prior to an equal tee that goes to the outlet. Please see attached.

It's copied from something that i've seen for a cold water only supply. Really basic and the copper/brass all exposed. It looks odd, but super easy to maintain, which is what i'm after in this application. But i've no idea if mixing hot and cold might cause problems (e.g. too much pressure either side causing backflow, or something).

In theory, could this work? In theory, what problems might there be?

All questions and comments very welcome. Apologies if this has already been done a million times and is stupid/repetitive/ridiculous/whatever...

cheers
Jez

Sponsored Links
The pressures would have to be absolutely equal on both sides, and you must install check valves on both supplies, as water mixing takes place generally at the end of the tap spout.
Other than that, it should theoretically work.
John :)

Yep, that's the sort of thing....equal pressures means that both hot and cold are tank fed or mains fed - the only certain way is to check things with a pressure gauge.
If one supply is at a different pressure, it will simply blow the other supply away.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I think I understand. The cold is mains fed (no tank) and the hot is via a combi boiler, so pumped.

We have a conventional mixer unit in five other places throughout the house, and although the cold runs faster than the hot, it doesn't exclude it. Is that something that the mixer unit manages?

i.e. are you saying that in my 'design' the cold being faster than the hot would prevent the hot from making it out?

Of course, the levers still allow for a degree of variability, don't they?

Varying the lever position will have little effect if the pressures aren't equal.
In your case they should be, but of course there could be restrictors somewhere along the pipe work......even your boiler may restrict the mains flow to some degree.
Combi's over here operate on mains pressure, without pumps (as far as I know) but of course there could be 'special' applications!
In your case I reckon you could juggle the taps to give the temperature flow you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back