Making room for a dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been doing a mini project for the afternoon in moving our dishwasher out of the utility room and into the kitchen under the sink.

I've installed a new sink trap and appliance tap, now I just need to get the dishwasher in.

I knew the depth of the dishwasher was going to be touch and go due to a piece of wood alongside the rear of the unit I was putting it in, and whilst it does fit it doesn't go as far back as I would like.

Do you think it would be OK to remove this wood along the back, or is it likely to be helping the unit keep its shape? The sink is above, and the worktop extends across another very small unit.

It doesn't appear to be under tension at all, but as all the units are screwed in the easiest way to get it out is going to be just cut through it.....

Sponsored Links
That strip is critical to holding the end panels in their correct place.

Before cutting it out I'd suggest fitting a pair of steel angle brackets to the wall and screwing these to the end panels.

Bear in mind that there may be two long screws in each end of that cross-piece and they be of hardened steel so wont bend or break too easily.

It's doing nothing, remove, the cup'ds should already be fixed to the wall.
You could do with a baton at the top under the sink, any weight to the back of the sink will snap the worktop as it's very weak if unsupported.

Sponsored Links
Ah great, now we have conflicting opinions :p

Edit: or do you mean 'remove' because if they're not already fixed to the wall they should be?

The sink has been there around 25 years hasn't gone anywhere yet... so touch wood it'll be OK :confused:

(Our plan is to replace the whole kitchen in the next few years)

That batten is around 2" from the back wall (space allowed for pipes, rats etc) so they are not normally fixed to the wall; any wall fixing normally being done at the side panels
If there is a separate cupboard unit to the left of the panel shown then there is no need to fix the panel to the wall, simply attach the two together with joining bolts. Similarly if the right hand panel is not tied to another unit then it needs tying to the wall with angle brackets.

Either way, if the end panels are not tied to adjacent units and not fixed to the worktop, they will need supporting by some means to prevent the unit collapsing sideways.

Thanks for all the advice at the weekend. Yesterday I fitted some angle brackets to the wall and the panels just to be sure. The wife is extremely happy to finally have the dishwasher in the kitchen! (But is refusing to accept it as her Christmas present)

I mentioned that some people put their bike components in the dishwasher, that raised her ire....

IMG_3619.JPG

No idea why

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back