Tips on getting doors back on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the doors off to paint the frames some time ago & now it's time to put them back.

A lot of the screws were just spinning in their holes so after some YouTubing i found i didn't have to drill them out & dowel up, i just had to buy some wooden golf tees, glue & hammer in, chisel off flush & job done.

I got the bathroom door on yesterday after much swearing, but it was pretty awkward.

I line up the top hinge but the bottom is way out, then i go to get the drill to drill a small pilot hole first & the door just moves as i feel like i need at least a 3rd hand.

I tried chocking the door up on little pieces of wood which sort of helped but i'm still out.

Any tips you experienced folk can offer?

Sponsored Links
Best solution get an assistant, if not stand the door on a bolster chisel or similar resting on a block of wood like a see saw, put your foot on the end of the chisel and apply pressure to lift the door to the right height, pop in the first screw then it should stay put enough to secure the bottom hinge.

If you have a workmate you can slip the ends of the jaws around the edge of the door to keep in upright use padding and do not clamp too hard.

Get the top hinge in position using spare hand and foot, get top screw in.

Get bottom in position, and 1 screw into the bottom hinge.

Fill in the rest.

Getting the top in position takes a bit of practise with the foot, but it is do-able

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

It was pretty straight forward getting them back on when there were fair sized holes for the screws to go in

But like i say, i've plugged these up as the screws were spinning, so i can't just slot them in. I'm trying to line the drill up central on the hinge holes so i can drill a small pilot hole in order for me to then screw the screw home.

Fill in the rest.

Getting the top in position takes a bit of practise with the foot, but it is do-able
Similar method to me
I don't even bother squaring the door. What I do is cant the door until the top middle screw is in line (having previously lined up a spare hinge and piloted the hole) and start the screw and have it snug but not tight. I then lift the door and pop one in one bottom hinge screw. Then I tighten them both when I have hands spare and am able to manoeuver the door with one hand and screwdriver in t'uther.

Fill in the rest.

Similar method to me
I don't even bother squaring the door. What I do is cant the door until the top middle screw is in line (having previously lined up a spare hinge and piloted the hole) and start the screw and have it snug but not tight. I then lift the door and pop one in one bottom hinge screw. Then I tighten them both when I have hands spare and am able to manoeuver the door with one hand and screwdriver in t'uther.

same as.very easy once youve done it a few times.

Yeah i guess it's practice.

Lined the hinges up tonight, drew circles, did the pilot hole & got the wife to hold the door in place. Had it chocked up on mini pieces of wood which helped.

Some of the screws still spin in their location though. On the bathroom door, there's 3 screws per hinge (on every hinge/door) & the bottom ones on each still spin. On the one i fitted tonight i think it was another bottom screw of the top hinge i think it was, still spinning.

Why would this be after i'd packed it out? That's still 4 out of 6 on 1 & 5 out of 6 on another that are good, so it'll do for me, but i'm just wondering.

Powered screwdrivers = spinning screws.

In t'olden days, before powered drivers you could actually 'feel' when to stop turning. Unless of course you were an axe monkey and had one of those brutal Yankee drivers. Hated 'em myself. :p

Thing is, while I used the drill I actualled 'inched' the screw bit by bit. I did this because if it screwed at an angle & I went too fast I couldn't correct so id just give it small presses. When I felt the others tightening up id let off but the ones that still spin never tightened up.

Just take 'em out push dead match sticks or cocktail sticks into the hole and refit the screws.

Aye I was going to do that when I can stop forgetting to bring them when I go to the house. I just wondered why they didn't bite like the others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back