Replacing a powered flue gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, looking to replace a powered flue gas fire which has gone all rusty. would really like to keep a gas fire as they look better and are cheap to run compared to electric. The house is 10 years old and has no chimney. I am looking at new flueless gas fire but does anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Cheaper to run?

Gas is about 1/3 of the cost of electricity.

But most gas fires only give 20-30% of their heat to the room. Take into account the ventilation flow and that probably means that the effective heat output could be far less.

I would doubt there is any significant difference in efficiency and there are no annual servicing costs on an electric fire.

So I would recommend an electric fire which gives 100% of its heat to the room.

Tony

Have a look at the Valor Dream Balanced flue fire.

Can get rid of the fan and gives decent heat into the room.

Will also work in a power cut which your current fire or electric fire won't do.

Ted

Sponsored Links
Cheaper to run?

Gas is about 1/3 of the cost of electricity.

But most gas fires only give 20-30% of their heat to the room. Take into account the ventilation flow and that probably means that the effective heat output could be far less.

I would doubt there is any significant difference in efficiency and there are no annual servicing costs on an electric fire.

So I would recommend an electric fire which gives 100% of its heat to the room.

Tony

Servicing costs ARE an issue, but "most gas fires only give 20-30% of their heat to the room" is another of Agiles nonsense posts. Read the figures, most modern FF fires claim 50 - 50% efficiency, and gas IS cheaper than electricity. Balanced flues are more efficient, but not everyone like the glass front, and they do discolour. The flame effects are generally not as pleasing as a FF fire. Bear in mind that FF fires have a fan noise - obvious but often forgotten. Try to see the fire "live" in a shop to hear the noise - some are worse than others

Thanks for the feedback. Would it be possible to go from a powered flue to a balanced flue relatively easily? Hopefully that would mean being able to brick the wall up behind and eliminate a cold spot in the living room. Looking at the efficiency of flue less gas fire's as well they seem pretty good. I know there are a lot of haters due to carbon monoxide, but I already have a detector and will have it serviced every year along with my boiler.

If you have a flueless fire fitted you need a permanent vent in the wall which will be more than a cold spot.

A balanced flue fire will replace a power flue'd one fairly easily.

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back