Tile sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I ordered two different batches of the same porcelain tile, same size etc.

However now that they have arrived my builder has noticed that the first batch are smaller than the second batch.

The difference in size means that we are unable to lay them down in a straight line. The difference is around 1.5-2mm between the batches.

The supplier is saying that the tiles are not rectified so is within the "Tolerance guide lines". I've examined the boxes and they just state the tile size, they don't give any tolerance guidelines.

I had thought that rectified tiles where for people who wanted very thin grout lines. I'm not that bothered about thick grout lines, the issue is that one batch of the same tile can't be laid in a straight line with another batch.

They haven't said what the range is but it seems to me very unreasonable to sell a product that can't be laid.

Any advice on what can be done? Is this a common occurance?

Sponsored Links
Can you change your intended layout, so the tiles are coursed in one direction but staggered in the other?

That's what I did with some sandstone laid outside, when I ordered some more to go with the spare from a friend's job, and it turned out one lot was metric and the other imperial :oops: .

Cheers
Richard

Got of the phone with the company that imports the tiles they say their Tolerance guide lines allows them to sell tiles up to 5mm different in size and call it the same tile.

5mm difference in size to me sounds like a completely different tile as theses tiles are 45x45

Sponsored Links
How about if you shuffle the batches, does that make the appearance any better?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back