Fixing MIcra K12 rear window heater cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone any experience of resoldering the wire connection on a heated rear window?

I knocked the one off my wifes Micra K12 t'other week - the soldered tab has come away, it looks like it may solder back on.

I'm wondering if I need to use solder paste for it or just a hot iron & flux?

Sponsored Links
I guess success depends on how much surface area the broken terminal has....a butt joint isn't going to last too long, but if you can overlap the connection a bit, then so much the better.
Scrape any contact area clean with a knife blade, then tin both ends of the terminal with solder - you'll need a fairly substantial iron for this, say 25W.
Somehow, hold the ends together and apply more solder when the tinned surfaces have liquified.
Be lucky with this one......if you can use some active flux such as Bakers Fluid, so much the better.
John :)

I personally would use a solder paste with a combined flux as this would potentially be less corrosive and also have lower melting temperature.

If soldering onto the glass I would also be inclined to pre-heat the glass with a hot air paint stripper to lessen the thermal shock of applying a hot soldering iron.

I would also use a fairly high powered iron to reduce the thermal cooling that will occur when soldering. This will enable the actual time heat needs to be applied to the very minimum necessary to ensure good joint.

If you are new to soldering practice on something else first so you get the hang of quick soldering (sorry if teaching you to suck eggs!).

An alternative, although I haven't tried it, might be conductive epoxy adhesive. Not cheap. I'd try eBay. If you do try is make sure you key the surfaces with fine abrasive if possible, and degrease with alcohol or similar.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, just as I thought (yes to the suck egss bit :) ).

Good job I have a soldering gun - had it for 30 years so might as well find a use for it lol.

I'll use my sleeving gun to heat the window first.

If you find you cant clean it so the solder will tin onto the surface. Consider glue as above, we have success with superglue, but the current flow was less than your application. Its not an easy repair you are trying to make. Or a tailgate of the same colour, local breaker is your main dealer.

Hmm, now I can't find or remember where my soldering gun is :(

Back