Wallpaper pattern out of square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am wallpapering my lounge with a check pattern and on my final wall the pattern has started to go adrift. I have been so careful using a plumb line on each new wall as I was expecting the pattern not to be very forgiving but it appears to be about an inch over the width of a four metre wall. I have checked and double checked my vertical and they are totally plumb, it doesn't appear to be the coving being wonky so I am stumped. Do I live with it or does anybody out there have an answer? The only thing I can think of is that the wallpaper pattern is out but surely not?
Admittedly only a tenner a roll but I've never had problems before even tho I am only a DIYer
Please help or I will be tearing the paper down and my hair out!!!!

Sponsored Links
Could it be that you've allowed some of the lengths to soak longer than others hence allowing them to stretch more. Some wallpapers can stretch significantly thus throwing the pattern match out.

Thanks Honda,
I was pretty stringent with this wall, soaking each piece for 5/6 minutes so I'm not sure it could be that. Funny I am not usually that picky but because of the check pattern I took took extra caution and it hasn't helped me at all

In what way has it gone adrift, just at the top or what? I'm thinking that if you've got 3 walls done that are ok then it can't be the paper that is faulty so it must be the coving (or the skirting). Is the measurement from the skirting to the coving at one end of the wall the same at the other end?

Sponsored Links
Re-do the wall, it'll drive you mad otherwise.

How about drawing a horizontal line somewhere about 12 inches or so below the ceiling? Then you can check a certain part of the pattern is in the same place on each length as you put each length up. :idea:

Well Honda. It seems to be drifting downhill slightly but as it is check its accentuating the problem. I have measured wall depth both ends and all is good, I agree it probably isn't the paper and therefore somehow it is my fault but having it plumb has normally been enough to ensure straight wallpaper. Sparkwright, thanks for the idea about a horizontal line also and it's a definite on the re-do front but I am concerned if I don't know why its happened I could end up with the same problem

Not very likely Snidge but the only other possibility I can think of that would make the pattern drift is that the coving and the skirting are parallel to each other but both are not level. As I say not very likely but possible I suppose?
Anyway good luck with the repapering :)

Always best to run a line around the room with a spirit level or even use a laser level. Each wall you plumb could be slightly out and so end up more out of square at the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back