Are all my radiators on the wrong way around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators don't get hot so I have been trying various things including using a sludge remove and fitting a fernox magnetic filter.

Today I noticed a strange thing. After I turn on the heating the pipe going to the lockshield side of the radiators is hot, and the valve side is cool. Slowly it warms up but always the lockshield side is warmer.

Does this mean all my valves are in the wrong side of the radiator? And if so, does it matter?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
As long as your thermostatic valves are reversible then it doesn't matter. It should still work even if they aren't reversible and have been put on the return but they will make a clicking sound.

What`s the set up? Combi? system/ conventional boiler? hot water cylinder??

Sponsored Links
After taking the sound advice on this forum I decided to remove my radiators and clean them in the garden to get rid of the thick sludge that is blocking them up.

I started with the radiator in the lounge. Closed the valve and the lockshield, undid the nuts and slowly drained the radiator. So far so good...

However, i totally underestimated how heavy these things are! As soon as I undid the wall fittings it fell on the floor and now I can't shift it.

Luckily it all looks undamaged, but it is too heavy to move. I have given up on trying to flush it, but I can't even get it back on the wall.

Can anyone help. Is there a good way to do this?

The picture is below (magazine is to show scale)

Help please! Thanks.

Thanks. So I don't need to worry that the valve is on the exit?

Unfortunately the lounge radiator is still lying where it was on the floor. I've tried to lift it with three of us and didn't manage it. So next weekend will try again.

I should have never started this bloody DIY plumbing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back