Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months back I, after years of savings got the keys to my house and began with the renovation process. The house was a wreck and needed a lot of work, including a new central heating system. Now, my issue is that, my father did all the work including connecting the gas. My father is not corgi registered... however, he falls into the grey area of competant as he was a plumber for earlier in life. A carbon monoxide was fitted and checked routinely while the rest of the work was done, and a coulpe of months ago I moved in.

Now, I know him doing the work may not have been legal, that was down to me being focussed and stressed out on other things so was ignorant towards the law. However I can't change the past.

Just wondered what my next move should be? is it likely any gas safe fitters would test and sign off the work? Or would that be breaking the law aswell?

Sponsored Links
Don't think any gas safe engineer would sign off the work I wouldn't, I would get gas safe to check work over ??????

Paul

Don't think any gas safe engineer would sign off the work I wouldn't, I would get gas safe to check work over ??????

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, would I be breaking the law by not having the work signed off? Or is it legal to just have it checked out.

Depends where you live in the UK as to the notification rules for new boilers.

however, he falls into the grey area of competant as he was a plumber for earlier in life
I'm afraid that doesnt for a second mean he falls under being competant, unless hes only very recently stopped working as a qualified gas fitter and has just let his gas safe card lapse.

While the correct advise is to get gas safe in for an inspection, I would however be a little warey about him getting in trouble for the work, of course if you cant remember who fitted it then he wouldnt need to worry would he?

I would at least have it inspected and tested by someone competanat, or gas safe for your own peace of mind and saftey. No one in their right mind will sign it off but the job will just fall under the same umbrella as thousands of other jobs in the UK that no one notifies. Theres no boiler police, just a possibility of an issue if you go to sell the house and with your house insurance as it is just now.

Sponsored Links
Good advice above, we don't know how good the install is as we can't view it, got called to a boiler service last week only to find boiler had been installed 2 weeks earlier,
Did all checks only to find handyman who fitted the boiler had cut the flue short, and instead of going to buy new flue it was just butting up to the flue elbow , customer had a new born baby in the house, handyman thought he was compentant because he did a bit of plumbing

Paul

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah thats my fault really, I should have checked it out before letting my dad loose! Was too pre-occupied with half a dozen other things.

For what its worth, the install seems sound, i have a carbon monoxide detector and it has been up and running for about 6 weeks.

I just want to get it certified for piece of mind though.

Is there any reason why it would be a problem for a gas safe engineer to disconnect and reconnect the gas? That may be an option.

I have in the past signed off work that wasn't my own but I invoiced for my time to thoroughly check everything plus a bit extra for doing something I didn't really want to do. Even then it was because it was at a friends house after the person that fitted the boiler didn't register it. I charged him £300 cash and that was me being generous. I'm sure you could find someone who will register it but as said it will cost you.

You can get any RGI to carry out a homeowner's safety check (it's the same as a landlord's one) and issue that paperwork.

As for GWN/LABC, it's a self certification scheme, the operative word being 'self'. No RGI can approve another's work. We are self certifiers not gas inspectors.

I have always put and explained that aspect.

I will certify other's work but only when I can reinstall the boiler to enable me to certify it as my own work.

Tony

I have always put and explained that aspect.

I will certify other's work but only when I can reinstall the boiler to enable me to certify it as my own work.

Tony

Would that be for £84 or the new price of £94 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back