Roof Terrace on a dormer possibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

There has been a dormer put on a terraced house and I am interested in making a terrace on the top. I am not sure whether the roof would support this and people's weight, perhaps someone could advise me, based on the photos below, or probably I need to employ a structural engineer?

Can see the joists from one of the pictures but unfortunately I'm not sure of size. I believe there are a couple of layers of asphalt on felt simply for weatherproofing.

//www.diynot.com/network/ec21kb/albums/

Thanks in advance
Kiel

Sponsored Links
You would certainly need structural calculations to determine the load bearing capacity of the structure and the roof surface, you would need building regs approval for guard rails etc, and that might need planning permission as you guard rails would probably be above ridge height.

I can guarantee you would need planning permission. I can could prollly also guarantee you would not be successful too.

Even if by some miracle you managed to get planning permission the chances are that unless the roof was designed to withstand a Nuclear explosion it will likely all need to come off and be redone, structure included. Retrofitting handrails to an existing flat roof is an absolute nightmare. Its challenging to do when its a new build let alone retrofitting.

Hi, Thanks for your replies. I had expected to need planning permission (given the structural work required wasn't too extensive) due to extending the height of the property, but do you know why it's almost guaranteed to be denied? I thought a terrace would only be an issue if it allowed vantage point into bedrooms / bathrooms of other properties.

Thanks
Kiel

Sponsored Links
It will look horrific. And before you know, once you got planning permission every man and his dog in your area will be applying.

You can't even do front dormers under permitted development nowadays (thank God).

It's already a lovely terraced house which has had a stalinesque box flat dropped on top ofit... I'm sure a few glass balustrades couldn't do the look much harm ;)

Just because something looks awful already does not mean you can make it look worse. That's why they stopped front dormers. I suppose you could call it progress!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back