Oil tank question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the following Oil Tank

Atlas 1150 SA

My question is, if we were to get a digital fuel gauge to show exact litres left, litres used per week etc... like the Apollo Sonic, would it work right for this shape of tank.

In my head when the oil level reaches the level of the two gaps in the tank surely it would drop in height quicker than being below the two gap level as there is more surface area. Or is there?? As the tank also widens at this point....

So basically do you think the surface area is similar as the oil level decreases through the area of the two gaps in the middle.

The gaps in the middle of the tank are not rectangular also, they sort of pyramid into the middle from either side with half the gap of the outside in the middle of the tank.

Sponsored Links
In reality your tank will be a little lower if those holes were not there so just allow for that when you commission the device.

In reality your tank will be a little lower if those holes were not there so just allow for that when you commission the device.

Thanks

This device can calculate ltr used per day, week, month and year
Also, cost per day, week, month and year

and a few other features, days to empty, ltrs till empty etc....

When setting up the device you enter in your tank type, bee hive, rectangle or slightly oval.

Then tank height and width and internal capacity.

I got it to test a few settings in the home, wanted to run a few tests with heating on low for longer and heating on high for shorter etc...just to see what we are using per week on each setting, now I am thinking when the oil is around the level of the gaps, its not going to be as accurate

May call Atlas as see what they say.

Sponsored Links
I haven't looked much into it but I'd expect this device to scan the surface.

So width, length, oval or round won't matter. The zone of sensitivity must be unobstructed however as it sweeps down at a 39 degree angle so your tank might present a problem.

I seen one being installed in a below ground water tank to monitor levels and the sensor alone cost £800 quid.

Why not get a length of cane and mark it and use it as a dipstick , simple and very cheap

All electronic gauges only register the depth of oil in a tank. With your tank, where you have the holes halfway up, the gauge will move more quickly over these holes as there is less oil in the tank. You need to establish what depth of oil will last you three weeks so that you can rely on a delivery once that point is reached.
To establish the amount of oil used, you need to install a meter, but make sure it will register the low usage you will use. Approx cost of a low usage meter is £250, and probably not worth it.

I have an external gauge with a ball also and a watchman.

This new gadget was more to accurately show what oil is being used on a daily, weekly and monthly limit which a standard gauge/funnel or watchman cant do.

Then I could change thermo and timer over a few weeks to see how cost effective another hour a day would be or a few more degrees up and down would effect the usage.

But with my tank shape it may not be as accurate as I thought. Totally forgot there were holes in it. The most accurate will be when it has around 25% left in the tank.

Reading 292 litres left so far , so probably the best time to do my tests.

I suspect this gimmick (cos that is all it is) will be as accurate as the fuel range forecast on my Van which will tell me I am good for 120 miles, but with in 15 is screaming at me to refuel ASAP- I suspect that if you take the info from your nice apollo as gospel you will find yourself running out of fuel!! ;)

If you want to acurately monitor your fuel usage you should fit a oil flow meter to the feed pipe to the boiler, you could then take daily readings, and deduct these from your oil delivery tickets and work out with some accuracy the cost and remaining fuel in the tank ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back