MCB change on garage circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new CU put in by an electrician about 12 months ago.
All fine with it, but I've found using my chop saw in the garage causes the garage circuit MCB to trip. All other appliances in there are fine.

If I run an extension from the ring main to either the ring covering the remainder of the house, or the kitchen ring (they are separate) then it works fine.
I've had a closer look at the CU and the garage (& conservatory) circuit is protected by only a 16A device, rather than 32A on the other two circuits.

The garage/conservatory circuit looks to 2.5mm T&E also.

It seems quite a hefty motor in the saw, so was thinking just to switch the MCB on the garage/conservatory for a 32A device.
The MK CU came from screwfix, so was wondering if the following would be appropriate?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-32a-type-c-mcb/40707
Type C looks the same as the existing ones with MK brand just under the switch.

The MK kit (10 way, dual RCD) seems to come with 1x40A, 4x32A, 5x6A, so a bit surprised I've got 3x32A and 2x16A - unless maybe the spec changed from a year ago maybe?

Sponsored Links
It depends on several thing:

cable size, length and routing
affecting volt drop and fault current.

You cannot just change the mcb without knowing.

Do you have a certificate for the CU replacement? It mat show the relevant values.

2.5mm T&E ... 32A device.

shake%20head.gif

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:MCBtoCable

http://www.batt.co.uk/products/view/624/Table-4D5A

Sponsored Links
Even just a type "C" version of the 16amp may be enough to absorb the start surge.
Subject to testing of circuit for EFLI

One of the most incorrectly filled out certificates I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't trust a single word of it.

Never seen a type A 60898 device either :LOL: and they're all 6kA devices in the photo of the cu. Also never seen 6.0mm² cable with a 4.0mm² CPC.

The only good thing is it says the CU is in the garage.

If true :) , it should be very simple to do what you want.

1. This is the size of the CPC (earth) within the cable. 6mm cable usually has a 2.5mm cpc.
2. This column is the type of device, for MCBs generally B or C. Possibly D. Maybe even K or Z in some unlikely installations. Certainly never A.
3 The breaking capacity. Usually 6 for domestic boards, 10 for others. Highly likely these are 6.
4. The RCD trip current, 30mA in this case. Other values are available. NA is not one of them.
5. Maximum loop impedance values. Generally copied from a table supplied with the certificate book. The newer versions of this certificate do not have this column.
6. These columns are for ring circuits only. The socket circuits 2 and 3 are probably rings. The others are not. In any case, the values would be totally different for each circuit - unless all of the circuits use the same cable sizes and are the exact same length.
7. Continuity in ohms, one of the two columns must be completed for all circuits.
8. Insulation resistance. Typical values for new or decent circuits would be in the many 100s. Old, damp, dirty etc. ones perhaps in the 10-100 range. 1.1 and below indicates they are totally wrecked and unsuitable for use. These figures are wrong.
9. Measured loop impedance. Why the alarm gets a value and the others do not is a mystery. If the 1.2 and 1.3 figures in the other columns are to be believed, this value can't be 0.86 anyway.
10. Trip times for the RCDs, which were apparently not tested at all.
11. Serial numbers of the test equipment used. Obviously used for some other purpose here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back