Thick flex from fuse box terminates in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have a quite thick bit of flex (about 2cm wide) going from my consumer unit (fuse box), up to the loft. the flex has a plastic connector (about 4cm wide with three individual gold connectors) on it but doesn't connect to anything.

As it went up to the loft right in the corner of the house it was lifting the plastic weather sheeting causing condensation where warm air from the room below went through the cable hole hit the cold plastic sheeting making the plaster around it damp and mouldy.

So for now I have pulled all the flex into the room below so I can seal the hole, but want to know what the flex is for before I do anything with it.

Any help most appreciated.
Adam

Sponsored Links
Hi, a picture would help. It may have been for a shower or cooker ?

Regards,

DS

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately I don't have a tester to check if it is at the moment (another reason to work out what it is).
I have put a picture up. I wrapped the connector in tape as I'm not sure if it live :)

Sponsored Links
If you give us a picture of the fuse box showing the mcb's and fuses that will also help.

Thanks,

DS

OK, that is not "flex". It is twin and earth cable, as above probably a feed for a shower.

A picture of the consumer unit would be helpful, but you will need a proper voltage tester (not a neon screwdriver) to test if it is live.

You have a shower supply switched off ?

Regards,

DS

Ace that makes sense.
The house had a new bathroom installed just before we bought it, so this is probably for the old shower.

Looks like the grey cable goes into the main fuse box and then breaks out to the smaller box.
Will ask my electrician to remove it when he is next round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back