Baxi Bermuda 551 - Pilot light turning off

Sponsored Links
90 minutes for a 551 get real even a new starter should not be taking that amount of time
A 551 can be completley stripped down in under 5 mins and i do mean completely.
Its a bread and butter job

Thought you were thinking about slowing down 112? :LOL:

I think you'll find he's adding £50 to the £80 for renewing the T/C, so he'll already have the firefront off.

So if it were £130 to service the boiler & fire, including replacing the T/C would that sound better?

OP, orange pilot may indicate a fault. Ask the gas fitter to check the oxypilot tube is clear while he does the service.

Sponsored Links
I allow about 75 minutes for servicing these and add £12 if it needs a new thermocouple. I only replace them if the output voltage is low.

Sometimes a bit more if its really dirty as in never serviced for last five years.

More still if sooted up !

Tony

MELDREWSMATE.
Talk me through where exactly the oxy pilot tube is on a 551 ?
I await with bated breath

Steel can you not see the rocket science involved in this complicated appliance ;)

Steel can you not see the rocket science involved in this complicated appliance ;)

Thing is agile will ONLY change TC if voltage is low , I guess he doesn't bother changing them when TC tip is split. :LOL:

I like you Tony but you spout nothing but ****e , the experienced certainly chuckle to themselves when reading your carp.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. Interesting to see that you disagreed on whether £50 was a reasonable price, I did think it seemed a bit cheap!

The £80 for the new thermocouple was a different guy to the £50 for the service guy. I cancelled thermocouple man and went with service man.

He took it to bits, cleaned it all out with a paint brush, hoover etc. Checked the smoke was going up the chimney properly and some other test that stank. He showed me the pilot when it was open and it looked much fiercer and totally blue. He said it was in really good condition for such an old boiler, barely sooted up at all, and insisted on only charging £40. He said there was a bit of an obstruction in the pilot light, no big deal. It took him just over an hour. Though it would have been much quicker if we hadn't been chatting so much haha!

The only thing is that after he left we went to look at the pilot light through the viewing window and you can't see it properly any more. No idea if that's a problem? It is lit, the heating and hot water are working fine, coming on and off no problem. There's a flickery blue glow through the window which must be the edge of the pilot light and I can hear it. The heating's working though, and the alarm hasn't gone off! So... that's ok is it?

Thanks guys :)

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. Interesting to see that you disagreed on whether £50 was a reasonable price, I did think it seemed a bit cheap!

The £80 for the new thermocouple was a different guy to the £50 for the service guy. I cancelled thermocouple man and went with service man.

He took it to bits, cleaned it all out with a paint brush, hoover etc. Checked the smoke was going up the chimney properly and some other test that stank. He showed me the pilot when it was open and it looked much fiercer and totally blue. He said it was in really good condition for such an old boiler, barely sooted up at all, and insisted on only charging £40. He said there was a bit of an obstruction in the pilot light, no big deal. It took him just over an hour. Though it would have been much quicker if we hadn't been chatting so much haha!

The only thing is that after he left we went to look at the pilot light through the viewing window and you can't see it properly any more. No idea if that's a problem? It is lit, the heating and hot water are working fine, coming on and off no problem. There's a flickery blue glow through the window which must be the edge of the pilot light and I can hear it. The heating's working though, and the alarm hasn't gone off! So... that's ok is it?

Thanks guys :)

That is really inexpensive - especially for your neck of the woods. I suspect it is because he has just set up - most guys starting out do not know there overheads will be far greater than expected, and often do not have the confidence to charge a proper rate. At those rates, he will be in trouble if his van engine goes south etc.

Having said that you were happy, he was not ripping you, so I would suggest you should keep him as your preferred gas man. Customers loyalty is often returned in the ensuing winters!

It is not normally a problem that you are struggling to see the pilot, especially as he had the common sense to show you it before reinstating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back