Worth repairing an old boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found my boiler (Glow-Worm 30FF) has the same issue the previous owner had 7 years ago: pilot ignites but no full burner. That time it cost £580 to fix (new valve, harness, pilot assembly, 4 hours labour). Now I'm having the same issue and wonder if it's not better to just replace the boiler than potentially have significant repair expenses every year due to the age of the boiler.

What do you think of this boiler model, is it worth keeping repaired or better to just replace it? If anyone can suggest a suitable replacement boiler that would also be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Boilers are a bit like cars when they start to need expensive repairs then it's time to trade in!
Unless you have a particular problem with siteing a new boiler I would say it's time to get shot of it ;)

Cannot see how a fault like that would need that many hours and parts to fix :eek:

I'd be thinking that it's the pilot burner. Probably a 25 minute job and quite a cheap part - could most likely be cleaned up. Is the boiler still sparking after the pilot is lit?

Sponsored Links
I'd be thinking that it's the pilot burner. Probably a 25 minute job and quite a cheap part - could most likely be cleaned up. Is the boiler still sparking after the pilot is lit?

Yes the pilot lights but keeps sparking non stop. The main burner does not light. Fan and pump both seem to be functioning normally.

Could be several things if the spark is not inhibiting
Sensible answer is to spend out on an engineer and see what he says ;)

Where are you in London? If it's near my patch I'll pop in and give you the verdict

FFS dont use the guy the previous owner used £580 totally ripped off by someone who clearly didnt have a clue about a really simple fault on a really simple boiler

To be honest if you change the fan and pcb you'll have a brand new boiler! I'd say fix it

Fixed now. Was: APS kinked, blocked pilot, blocked injector, spark electrode corroded (cleaned). No new parts available for this boiler at local stores so he worked to clean up the existing parts, taking him an hour's work, plus time visiting supply stores. Paid £125, seemed reasonable.

Glad you got it fixed for Christmas :D

I would still think about changing, sounds like if he had needed a part you would have been in for a long wait if indeed you could get one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back