Danfoss BFP 41 L 3 Pump problems

Thanks Tipper good advice the pipe runs along the side of the house, and we are just south of the Ouse as it enters goole, so the wind can be horrific, i guess also chilled by blowing across a massive expanse of river and no trees, houses etc to break the force, a little insulation can do no harm :)

Thanks Danoil,
Interesting to hear about the returns, I chatted to the WB engineer tonight who fitted the pump that lasted less than two weeks, he was at a complete loss,last service of the boiler was in April, pretty much every part was replaced due to the boiler being out of action for at least three years apparently so every moving part was stuck fast, he was surprised to hear the oil pump was changed less than two weeks after he had swapped the pump which was fitted in April. When i mentioned i had replaced the pump he said it would be over pressurised and would likely cause sooting so i should take the top off the boiler and hoover it out. Out of interest i guess if i have installed an oil pump myselfy it wont be covered by Danfoss warranty as clearly i am not certified to fit it?

Thanks John

Yes I agree, my limited knowledge of oil boilers aside, the Worcester Bosch engineer who serviced the boiler and replaced the last pump cant say enough about the boiler, 15 years old and it still works like a charm, barring the odd oil pump failure, if i get to the bottom of that then i am sorted. Yes the diverter went about four months ago, i rescued it with an actuator motor from screwfix, going to clean the baffles tomorrow.

Thank you all again :) :)

Sponsored Links
To be honest, you need to adjust the pressure down to where it should be BEFORE it gets to the point of sooting - prevention is better than cure and all that. If in doubt switch boiler off until you get that gauge. I'm not entirely sure but I don't think there would be any problems if this pump is faulty as it's still faulty whoever fits it.

Cheers Danoil,

have switched boiler off, it's not as bitter weather wise so it will be fine until tomorrow, hopefully when gauge arrives. interesting about the pump, will send it back and see what happens, they can only say no. :)

If you're luck is in Mick, under the boiler lid should be a baffle diagram and pump pressure setting?
Of course you cant measure the CO2 though - a flue gas analyser is needed for that.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes John, that is where i am going to be snookered, I hope I dont really have to do too much tinkering, and that regular servicing will keep her going. if this had failed in the summer I wouldnt have bothered trying to fix it myself would just have waited for the WB engineer to have a look when he could, That said I am glad I have had a go as it has given me a bit of an understanding how it all works and you guys have been great for help and advice. Top blokes, Top forum thank you all :)

danoil. Where can i find info on the problems you mentioned? I have a similar issue with a customer. Needs a new pump every 6 months. No water in fuel and no filter issues. Its starting to get embarassing

Sorry not been on here for ages and only just seen this. I had an email sent to me from Danfoss but there was also a short article on it in the last 'oil installer' magazine I noticed.

Found this thread when searching online for Danfoss pump issues.
I've had 4 pumps fitted so far this year, they fail after roughly a month, and boiler locked out again today so maybe it will be 5.
The tank has been checked for water and a waterhog fitted just in case. The inline pipework and filters have been replaced in case of air ingress.
Additive lubricant has been put in the tank in case of kero having less lubricant.

Found this Danfoss statement http://hwos.co.uk/danfoss-investigate-pump-seizing-problem/ about the problem being in 3 areas of UK, including the North East where I am.

I guess all my plumber can do is try a different pump manufacturer, but Worcester specify the Danfoss pump so it's not preferred route.

Just posting this to share with others who may be having similar problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back