steering wheel vibration

E

EddieM

When stationary my steering wheel vibrates slightly now.. also the steering seems to occasionally shudder when moving off.. I suspect its the PS pump, it all seems fine at speed and its not severe by any means. Also I feel the car in general seems to have lost a bit of power, but that really may not be true. Ideas? (I checked the PS fluid level.. was fine)

Sponsored Links
If your car has electric power steering Eddie, then there could be all sorts of possibilities......however most have their own ECU and therefore can be interrogated.
Have a trawl through BBA-Reman, in the common failures section first though.
John :)

Had new tyres fitted recently or can you see if any weights have been thrown off?

Look at the simple stuff first!

Nozzle

Had new tyres fitted recently or can you see if any weights have been thrown off?

Look at the simple stuff first!

Nozzle

No new tyres and wouldn't explain why it only vibrates when stationary, so can't be a wheel imbalance.

It's a jaguar s type so I doubt it's electric ?

Sponsored Links
My dad had something similar on his car years back; it was due to worn anti-roll bar bushes. Are you able to check these?

Guesswork again but I had a similar issue with an Iveco truck......the steering was a bit notchy too.
A new pump cured that one.

Guesswork again but I had a similar issue with an Iveco truck......the steering was a bit notchy too.
A new pump cured that one.

I feel on balance of the evidence that its either a pump problem... or I am suspicious that the belts need changing... could that be the problem? You can probably guess I really dont know much about cars!!

I don't think the belts would be the issue, Eddie but if its easy to pop the belt off, the pump should rotate smoothly without any lumpiness by hand.
I'm afraid Jags are out of my league so I can't comment how easy this would be to do.

No. Its a slight low frequency vibration, but it wasnt there before

Does the vibration change as you rev the engine a little?

Sponsored Links
Back