What's the going rate for a wc syphon swap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Close coupled WC. Crusty looking bog, hacksaw job to split. Job involves 1 hr travel there and back (30 mins each way) 26 miles total. How much for labour assuming parts quoted at 15 notes for a new syphon and close couple kit? My quote was grizzled at and I thought I was going in at below the going rate. I will tell you all what I quoted when there are a few suggestions posted up here. I don't want to charge too much but the van doesn't run on fresh air.
How much do folks think reasonable for this job?

Sponsored Links
Good. I had my ear chewed for suggesting 70 to 90 including vat. Think i will pass on this one.....

Everybody thinks fixing a toilet is a £20/£30 job as its ONLY a bog, but you will probably spend more time messing about removing silicone and crusted fixings and then trying to reseal everything back.
Not worth it really.

Sponsored Links
With that amount of travel (plus latex gloves to counter the, ahem, BioHazards present) a dudley duo flush syphon, pull down kit, donut washer, hacksaw/fein blades/scuffed knuckles etc)

As said, £120 plus VAT, or, the punters can continue to bucket'n'chucket

DH

The most important home invention of all time, bar none. People who take it for granted should be made to live in the style of the pre-sanitisation age.

Pass it on to someone who offers 'no job too small' :p
Or battle with rusted wing nuts with no hacksaw access, a leaking pan connector at the same time, an overflow that won't undo, the pong of ancient 'hit and miss'......
No ta :p
John :)

Exactly my plan. Told her to locate local handyman who might do it for forty quid. Meanwhile i will attend a couple of breakdowns close to home and have two satisfied clients rather than one bitter client.

S'two hours work, usually. some people work for beer money and some for stupid money. You have to know your break-even amount and charge more than that. I think you are right to walk away if you are not happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back