Leaking gutter joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all. I have a problem with leaking joints to my guttering and any sound advice would be most welcome. My guttering is a black plastic ogee shape and only 3 years old but most of the joints are dripping. I dont really want to replace the joints so I would like a recommendation as regards a sealant or if there is somewhere I could purchase the rubber type strips that are glued to the insets of the joints. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Many thanks for your advice/replies. To update for anyone who is interested, I noticed that the main reason I had a constant dripping gutter joint bracket leaking was because the gutters were well clogged with moss and other green debris and this was stopping the rainwater from flowing away quickly. I had some old black car windscreen sealant called arbomast with which I used on the joints after I had cleaned and dried. I put the joints back together after applying some sealant to the rubber seals and once joined I also used a small plastic scraper to force the sealant into the joints from the inside of the gutter. So far so good after plenty of rain but it wont be until the warmer weather is here and the expansion and contraction takes place that I will have a true result. I will keep the forum informed of the long term result with a report in a few months time.

We have what they call a "solarium" here in the USA. The original owners of our home had it built, and no one in this area knows who made the kit or how to maintain it. I started pulling off parts and searching the Internet, and all signs tell me it's an Ultraframe conservatory, with Marley Classic guttering. Trying to fix some leaks, I finally found the fine folks at gutterspares.co.uk, who would ship Marley and Ultraframe parts to the States. The other day I removed the union, replaced the seals and one broken clip, and put it all back together. Now it leaks three times worse than before! Guess it's just deformed from years of sun and a bad arrangement that crushes the back of the gutter under the glazing bar.

Even if I could get a 4m section of gutter shipped to the USA to replace the whole thing (not likely), the other piece sharing that union is an external corner that is cemented/embedded in the box gutter and the back wall of the house. If I remove that, I'm afraid I'll never get it sealed again.

Do you think the sealant tape mentioned above might stop this union from leaking? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gutter-Caravan-Shed-Conservatory-Roof-Repair-20cmx15cm-/230714678067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b7aa9b33&afsrc=1) That would be a permanent bond, though, right? So I'm not going to be able to get it apart if I have to replace a bracket or something ...?

Anyone have a suggestion that would still allow me to separate the gutter sections?

Thanks very much.[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Do you think the sealant tape mentioned above might stop this union from leaking? That would be a permanent bond, though, right?
Thanks very much.[/url]
the tape will be fine - and it`s not a permanent bond .Crack on ;)

Okay, I'm leaning toward trying the tape. "MW Roofline", if you're still on here, you said to warm it up first, and it will be like "really sticky chewing gum." First of all, how much "warming up" are we talking? Like holding it between my hands for a minute or so? Or a pot of boiling water for five minutes? And I'm trying to picture the "chewing gum" state of affairs ... is it still going to be flat, like the foil tape I see in the pictures? Or is it going to be more like a putty?

Lastly, will it still allow the joint to adjust for expansion and contraction?

Thanks again.

Just room temperature or a bit warmer to fit it. Between hands is fine. It will be nice and flat just keep rubbing it flat. Yes it will let the gutter expand and contract. Good luck.

As promised, here is an update. Two of the joints have been leaking for a while. I will have a look when the weather is warmer and report.

Using some kind of caulking or silicon stuff is controversial with some roofers and manufacturers. The rubber sealing strips in plastic gutter fittings can be removed and replaced with new seals. Its claimed that using caulk can create other difficulties and that even with a 2 or 3 years life its a temporary repair.
Cutting the gutter lengths exactly to the expansion line will often do the trick but of course gunning with caulk is what's often done.
Making certain that the clips are on the setting out string line with the correct falls will help prevent dips and damming and freezing expansion at the joins.

too much guttering is fitted too level ie no fall at all, so water sits in all the joins and finds its way out of any slightly iffy junctions. I spend a lot of time sorting these out, so roofers: keep doing it so I can keep charging to put it right.!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back