LS-X to seal slight weep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While putting a tee piece into the DHW pipe just near the boiler, I've obviously disturbed one of the soldered joints in the DHW pipe just as it exits the boiler and there is a very small leak. I've never done any solder work and anyway I wouldn't attempt it because the pipe is hard up against the gas pipe into the boiler so I'm just wondering if applying LS-X to the joint might sort it?

Sponsored Links
You may get away by using an epoxy putty such as Devcon.....its in two parts, kneaded together like plasticine, and applied to a clean and dry surface.
Sets like you wouldn't imagine! Motor factors and probably Halfords stock it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely the soldered joint, and not the union above where the pipe attaches to the boiler? These can sometimes weep if disturbed and would poss seal if tightened slightly.

You may get away by using an epoxy putty such as Devcon.....its in two parts, kneaded together like plasticine, and applied to a clean and dry surface.

Ok mate, I appreciate that. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Is it definitely the soldered joint, and not the union above where the pipe attaches to the boiler? These can sometimes weep if disturbed and would poss seal if tightened slightly.

Yeah I've had a really good look at it and it is the soldered joint - completely dry before the joint, i.e. coming from the boiler. Thanks anyway.

Try a self amalgamating silicon tape such as Rescue Tape. Baxically a temporary repair but can last along time. To resolder, the pipe needs to be dry, so drained down.

Ok mate, I appreciate that. I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks.

I had a look at the Devcon website but I couldn't see anything that looked particularly suitable for copper pipe so I decided to bite the bullet and I've booked a plumber to come on Monday. At least that way I know it'll be sorted properly. Thanks anyway for your advice.

Try a self amalgamating silicon tape such as Rescue Tape. Baxically a temporary repair but can last along time. To resolder, the pipe needs to be dry, so drained down.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've now booked a plumber for Monday.

Maybe Devcon have changed their products somewhat, but epoxy putty is the same thing......anyway, I hope your repair goes well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back