restoring wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I have ripped up the laminate in my bedroom. Found I have real wood flooring. I'm going to sand it all.......what next......Paint it...varnish....oil.....i don't know what wood it is but it will be a light colour when all sanded.Whats the best way to go to get a nice not to dark colour/finish????

Sponsored Links

You could use that. Oil gives a nice finish. I used a polyeurethane spirit-based varnish on most of my floors (Ronseal Mattcoat). Very hard wearning, turns the pine a nice colour, but probably not as attractive as oil.

Personally I wouldn't use the water-based floor varnishes - they don't impart a mellow colour at all, and can look a bit plasticky.

Cheers
Richard

Excellent. Cheers for the reply. With the oil is it just use it and done. I want a good finish as it's going to be in a child's room. So need it hard wearing. Do I use a varnish protector on it after....or just oil

Sponsored Links
Excellent. Cheers for the reply. With the oil is it just use it and done. I want a good finish as it's going to be in a child's room. So need it hard wearing. Do I use a varnish protector on it after....or just oil

You don't want to varnish over oil

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back