Torture Motivation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leaving aside the morality or otherwise of torture-

Listening to reports on CIA torture, I found it interesting that one of the main motivations for carrying on the torture was fear of prosecution for torture.

That is, the torturers were desperate to justify their actions by trying to force out some statement that would mean the torture was justifiable.

This may have become as much of a motivation for carrying on with torture as the original attempts to find out information to save lives.

A sensible objection to torture is that it doesn't really work, but if the above is the case, then it really is counter productive.

Sponsored Links
Thought-provoking comment, micilin.
The other aspect that I gleaned from the reports was the value, in reference to a time-line, of the information gathered.
Information gathered within the first few minutes or hours of capture could be valuable. But as the hours and days slip by the value of the information is significantly reduced.
Information obtained after days/weeks/months of torture is of no real value at all, simply because, even if genuine, it is out-of-date!

Then again torture is against the geneva convention, oh hang on don't think the states signed up to that, then again it can't really be classed as a civilised country can it.

Mind you Blair just side stepped that with special rendition "policies" which to my mind were contrary to the law of the land.

Sponsored Links
Back