Cat 6 and HDMI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting asked more and more frequently to install HDMI TV points in people's houses rather than the traditional coax outlets.

I normally use 2no. cat6 cables connected to a HDMI balun at each end as it's much easier than running a pre made HDMI cable, but it's difficult to use cat6 and keep the installation looking nice and tidy.

Is there a module which fits in a standard euro module plate which contains an inbuilt balun?

Basically I'd like to terminate the 2no. cat6 cables at the back of the module and just have a standard HDMI socket on the front of the outlet.

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but can't seem to find them now.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for my ignorance Rf,
How does the telly work with that, whats it plug into at the other end :)

Normally skyHD or sometimes something like freesatHD or a bluray player. The signal from sky goes to a central point where a splitter is sited and then this distributes HD telly to the various tellys in the house.

Sponsored Links
That's certainly a good start and looking at the picture it's a euro module in a faceplate, so could hopefully be integrated into a media outlet plate as we tend to run HDMI, data and coax to each telly to run the magic eye even though it's not carrying the TV signal any more all on a twin plate four module outlet using a two module brush outlet for the HDMI terminated into a separate balun.

A punchdown version would be brilliant. Maybe I've found my dragons den opportunity?!

I fit 48mm back boxes as standard for these outlets.

That amazon link is exactly what I'm after but they're American sized plates. If I could find that in euro module size it would be perfect. Also hopefully with a slightly more palatable price tag!

I'll keep looking. Maybe I could bulk import the American version and transfer it to a blank euro module. Finally I've found the niche that let's me hang up my tool bag and retire :LOL:

Just have to hope the dragons recognise my brilliant idea!

{I'm ooot}

Is having plugs on the end of the cat cables really such a bad thing. I know they are a pain to crimp but being able to unplug the converter unit from the cables seems invaluable when troubleshooting.

I find the passive ones to be a little unreliable, and their specced lengths being optimistic.

Powered ones are pretty flawless, and for this reason we tend to simply install a dual cat6 faceplate. Customer can then fit what they want.

We use these in pubs etc with great success.

I will just add, on one site which already had a standard coax distribution for TV's around a large pub, when they wanted to add Sky Sports HD and a blu-ray player, we invested in a DIGITAL modulator which placed 4 separate HDMI inputs into a multiplex on a single digital channel. The cost of this rack mount unit was almost a grand, but saved re-cabling everything, and allows each TV to have separate programming. The Blu-ray and Sky appear in the program channel listing with their own programmed name, and even in the TV Guide!

I find the passive ones to be a little unreliable, and their specced lengths being optimistic.

Powered ones are pretty flawless, and for this reason we tend to simply install a dual cat6 faceplate. Customer can then fit what they want.

We use these in pubs etc with great success.

I've got a pair of unpowered baluns at home running on cat5 for about 15M. They are pretty good but occasionally switching on an upstairs light causes them to crash for a second or two.

They were rated for a max of 10M so I can't complain really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back