Are front fogs part of the MOT test?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a cracked front fog light an MOT failure? I had a car through the MOT with a cracked lens once before and it passed OK, not sure if the rules have changed though, had a squidge through the manual online, can't seem to find anything about front fogs so assuming its still not part of the test?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
just one of the few things that isn't tested, my car went through the other month so you will not have a problem

I wonder for how long though.

More and more manufacturers are wiring them into the indicator and saying they are now "See where you turn" lights.

Moronic imho as they divert your gaze away from the indicator into a " He's got one foglight out and why has he got his foglights on anyway" kind of scenario !

I thought if it was there it had to work, so a rear windscreen wiper I assume that's an extra that's not checked.

I'd wondered about lights fitted having to work too.
Personally I think the MOT test should include putting a hammer through any front fogs that have been used in normal driving conditions.

Officially, like the rear wiper and washer, not part of the test......however, if the fog lamps are pointing to the sky or can cause dazzle, then it's a fail.
I think Alan is referring to the rear number late illumination......if there are two lamp units, then both must work.
I'm sure the MOT authority will eventually plug the loop holes if we wait long enough!
John :)
PS I'll just edit this.....those super bright LED running lamps really do my head in!
J.

I think Alan is referring to the rear number late illumination......if there are two lamp units, then both must work.
Just looked at the web page I linked to again and on second looking all lights working is under sub heading of registration lights. Missed that first time.

Apologies for cr*p information.

End of the day I think most testers are human, and honest. I must admit I have never received grief from local MOT station.

One year I went for MOT day after I had a wing mirror ripped from vehicle. A fail really.

I was asked where the mirror was and when I said at home he simply said well first thing when you get back put it in vehicle so if stopped by police it would look more convincing that it had only just happened!

You need two of the three mirrors to be present, one of which should be the driver's door mirror.

Front fog lights aren't part of the test. It's not a loophole, they're just not mandatory so not tested. Multiple number plate lamps have been placed by the manufacturer to provide adequate illumination of the plate, so all should work. Same with the different suspension/brake setups you find etc.

MoT is now catching up with mandatory items from 10+ years ago such as airbag/ABS lights. It will take forever for fog lights to catch up.

Sponsored Links
Back