Hotpoint Aquarius wml540p washing machine fault !HELP !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 tear old Hotpoint Aquarius washing machine WML540P ! Recently the door was open but the machine started clicking so my wife believed it was because the door was open so she closed the door. immediately the washer turned on and began filling up with water, it continued to fill until water came out of the top powder drawer ! My wife rang me at work and in a panic so I told her to turn it off at the mains. The machine was full of water so she opened the door and drained the water with a pan as best she could. When I came home I turned the machine on and all the lights flashed in no particular sequence and it went into a nonstop spin cycle. I have since checked for blockages and checked all connections and all appear ok. Now, when switched on, the machine will either go into a spin cycle or there is a rather loud click and it appears to be ok, but will not go through any cycle whatsoever. The red lock light for the door flashes but thats as far as it will go. Switch it off again and it will either start spinning immediately and non stop or it will click and do nothing ! Anyone any ideas PLEASE ! HELP

Sponsored Links
Your motors had it , very common problem. New motor £80.00 or hotpoint will do job parts and labour. £100.00

Thankyou Rocks1, is that an easy job to replace motor or should it be done by a pro ?

Sponsored Links
Easy job just two 13mm bolts. As for motor try google. Espares partmaster etc but the price does vary.

I have just resolved this issue without replacing the whole motor.

The problem was the carbon brushes on the motor needed replacing.
These cost me £20 and took 15 minutes to replace. (They can be bought for £10 online)

Apparently the door catch is on the same circuit as the brushes. When the brushes wear out the circuit is broken and the door catch fails.

The only problem you may find is that Hotpoint fitted various motors to these machines each with a different pattern of carbon brush. So it's best to remove them first and then buy them - so you get the correct part.

Mine were bolted on with 5.5 mm hexagon bolts - a rather unusual size.
But not all are attached in the same manner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back