Does this quote seem rediculous or is it me???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 87979
Just looking for a sanity check.....

We are having an extension built and need to remove the pre fab garage which has been built on paving slabs, and the concrete slab behind (in picture).

We have a quote for taking down the garage, removing the paving slabs (laid on earth) and digging up the concrete behind (75mm thick). The garage is sectional and bolted together.

There is a corrugated roof that may have an asbestos content, but the quote received assumes it DOES NOT (if the builder feels it does, then I will remove this myself and bury under the new extension).

I have taken down a similar garage 20 years ago (when I was fitter and younger) and it took me and a mate half a day using an angle grinder to cut through all the bolts and the apex angle iron roof frame, barrowed the sections to the front of the property, and I paid a 'guy with a van' to clear the panels for a £100.

The quote I have received is £3000 plus Vat (£3600).

Bearing mind there will already be a JCB digger on site (to dig foundations for extension) which he can use, and the site has access fro a grab lorry to clear the spoil, it seems quite high....

Or am I being unreasonable?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think he's making that job pay, all right....the raft could take some shifting so a windy pick could be needed but the whole thing could be gone in a day or two (plus skips).
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of selling the house and moving down to Essex to set up a garage-demolition business.

What a load of Bo***x!

White asbestos is no more dangerous within the ground as above it. It does not break down and does not produce toxic leachate.

We've had several asbestos components carted away. None of the guys collecting it wear any special clothes and no respiritory gear either. The stuff was thrown straight into the back of the van.

Greedy asbestos companies making a mint out of gullible people and scaremongering. :rolleyes:

At our local tip, there is a dedicated skip for disposing of asbestos and which anyone can use.

As usual some amusing and useful replies...

I hasten to add, if I do 'lose' the roofing sheets under the block and beam floor of the extension, I will not put up a sign saying 'asbestos buried here'...lol

I like the link to the Company who removes asbestos at a huge fee, saying it is not illegal to bury it, but trying to put the fear of God into you at the same time.

I like the idea of advertising and seeing if anyone wants it.....

Thanks all....

local councils will get rid of the asbestos roof, here its about £120, they drop off some large bags, you fill them, seal them and ring them to collect.

that's probly less money for the roof than your guys charging lol

It's not the taking down of asbestos cement boards or moving it around that costs the money, it's the ultimate land fill tipping on 'special waste' sites. Those sites are hugely expensive to operate. The blokes who throw it in a van don't make that much, unless they are chucking it in a ditch on the way home of course. Really you should get a disposal certificate so it is traceable.

@ ritchiekicks,

You have incorrectly attributed those quotes to me.
Read the thread properly ffs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back