Glue safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used a glue and just realised it has a toxic symbol on it.

Im a bit paranoid now but did use nitrile gloves and worked in a pretty large room.

Do i need to worry about short term exposure? I mean obviously next time if i use it i will use a proper respirator or an extraction unit. I did only use a relatively small amount.

Please put my mind at rest!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
more likely to be a possible irritant than danger to touch
what glue was it ??

with comments like these

"These urethanes are so strong
you can even drill and tap them! We’re confident you’ll never want to use
smelly toxic acrylics again."

i suspect its just a possible irritant

if you skin is ok and you didnt get as high a a kite on the fumes then your fine
:D

Sponsored Links
Hi

I dont think i ingested it that much. I didnt come into physical contact with it. I wore nitrile gloves and didnt get any skin contact.

Im more concerned about inhaling the fumes.

Relax.....most of us on here have used Evo Stik by the gallon, and solvent weld adhesives by the bottle. You'll be fine.
John :)

Most things these days come with dire warnings as an A*** covering exercise for the makers.
Things like Methylated spirit White spirit, Wallpaper paste Silicone mastic most paints and wood stains or treatments. All of which I have been covered in and nibbled a plate of biscuits provided by the customer and I am still here.
Common sense, wear gloves don't lock yourself in a cupboard with a pint of Evo-Stick, avoid ingesting it and mind your eyes, will keep you out of trouble with most things.
Pretty sure as you suffered no ill effects at the time and only used a small amount you are OK.

I used some Wasp killer (warnings printed all over it) in a shed and phoned the maker to see what was the best way to clean it up afterwards, the guy sounded a bit amused "not to worry just wipe it up with a damp cloth, there ain't much chemical in that product anyway" was the reply. :D

Unless you are really stupid, there are few things available that will do you much harm, the eec regulations have banned most things that were effective, and have given us mamby pamby substitutes that don't work, or are not as good as the products they replaced.

the eec regulations have banned most things that were effective, and have given us mamby pamby substitutes that don't work, or are not as good as the products they replaced.
Ah yes, I remember carbon tetrachloride, which was replaced with trichloroethylene, which was then more or less banned as well....... I seem to recall that when I started work there were a large number of highly dangerous, if effective compounds, which occasionally killed people. Maybe the legislation has some purpose, after all? :confused:

Relax.....most of us on here have used Evo Stik by the gallon, and solvent weld adhesives by the bottle.
Explains a lot!
I've laid up industrial quantities of laminate in various shops over the years and out on site. I sometimes used to wonder if I was "over the limit" when I drove home (probably). On a lay-up day I rarely wanted to go the pub after work, though, for some strange reason. There have been no long term effects (as yet)

If you ever want to make yourself really poorly, try welding galvanised steel without proper ventilation :eek:
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back