Hot water off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm sure this is a simple question so sorry for a stupid question!
I am trying to replace my kitchen mixer tap.
I can't seem to shut off the hot water. I have found the red tap on the thick pipe that comes from out the ceiling into the bottom of the immersion. I have turned that off. I then opened up the tap downstairs and the it seems to be running forever. Also, noticed the tank in the loft is draining?
Can someone help on advice on how to turn off my hot water. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That'll be the gate valve not closing. Best bet is to bung the cistern, then drain and replace that valve.

Thanks. Thought so. After a couple of minutes the water starts spluttering out of the tap downstairs, so I'm guessing the valve is shutting it off partly, but not fully. How do I bung the cistern please?

You can buy bungs but if its only a one off i would just drain the lot off. Have heard people using big lumps of blue tac and the likes but if it gets into the system you will have problems.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, last question. I hear I might airlock system if I drain. Anything I can do in the process to prevent this? Cheers

Put your hand over the mixer tap spout, open the hot tap then open the cold (it'll squirt a bit) let it blow for about 30 seconds. If that don't work just repeat until it does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back