Equipontal Bonding Mandatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Can anyone tell me if it's mandatory?
Just asking as I've done the fresh water, however, the gas is going to be a huge job sorting and routing the earth.

Sponsored Links
Gas meter should have an earth bond before the first branch in the house piping and close to the meter.

See lots that dont have any earthing on.

But if you bond the gas and central heating pipes and water pipes
together (assuming all copper). Usually ideally under the boiler if you have a combi that will take care of any earth problems.

Sponsored Links
No its not mandatory, but would be classed as NCS on a safety check. Always advisable though.

:?:

I havnt seen our electricians cross bond, apart from main bonding the gas and electric meters of course but havnt seen them strap the old boiler pipes up for a while now!?

I can remember questioning them about this about a month ago and they said it doesnt have to be done now???

I wouldnt know, im not on top of the leccy regs at moment but i'd like to get a detailed answer.

Something to do with RCD's i think (plumber not a spark).

:?:

I havnt seen our electricians cross bond, apart from main bonding the gas and electric meters of course but havnt seen them strap the old boiler pipes up for a while now!?

I can remember questioning them about this about a month ago and they said it doesnt have to be done now???

I wouldnt know, im not on top of the leccy regs at moment but i'd like to get a detailed answer.

It's never been a requirement to cross (or any other) bond boilers, unless they were located in a bathroom.

Bathrooms used to require cross bonding of all metallic items and CPCs, but this can be omitted if ALL circuits are RCD protected AND all extraneous metalwork into the property is main bonded.

Main bonding of gas and water supplies is required by electrical regulations. These regulations are not retrospective, so you do not have to install it unless you are having any electrical work carried out in which case it must be installed.

Having said that, it's installed for YOUR safety, and it's a very good idea to have it fitted.

Gas meter should have an earth bond before the first branch in the house piping and close to the meter..

Within 600mm of pipe entering property (to be fair, more often than not, this is near the meter)

Electrical regs changed some time ago. It doesn't mean cross bonding isn't required that is down to test results.
I did a LGSC on the same day as the spark had upgraded consumer unit and issued a certificate. No MEB was present at the meter.
When questioned he said it was okay and had tested satisfactorily.
Who am I to argue.
He's a decent spark too.
Jeff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back