Will this gas valve work with my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So here is the deal, my current boiler Biasi M110.32SM/E is in need for gas valve change. The cost is quite high to do this right now and I was checking around other websites and have come across a brand new gas valve under the name BAXI DUOTEC PLATINUM GAS VALVE 720301001 SIT SIGMA 848.
Now the Biasi boiler also uses the SIT SIGMA 848 and I have made comparisons between the actual gas valve for the Biasi and the BAXI one listed above. They are both the same in technical specification and fitting, so I was wondering if I can get it replaced by a gas safe engineer and will it work? The brand new gas valve is listed by a trusted seller for £30.

Sponsored Links
Nope. You must use the manufacturers replacement part i'm afraid. Unfortunately for you, cheap boiler means expensive spare parts. The 848 valve is used on many boilers, but there are some subtle differences between them on different manufacturers boilers. These differences may not be apparrent in the sit datasheet, but trust me, there are differences! Your best option is to ask your engineer for further advice.

Furthermore, few engineers would be prepared to fit a gas valve bought by the customer from Ebay. Suppose it does not work?

In any case how do you know that the gas valve on your boiler is the cause of the fault?

They very rarely fail on that model. I dont remember ever changing one on a selection of about 20,000 boilers!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you guys for your replies. I will be looking to get a new boiler since the last engineer said he could not set the CO2 levels within recommended range and said gas valve is the culprit. He actually spent 6 hours on the boiler trying to fix it but as soon as he left the boiler started to function. However, I am still not convinced if the boiler is safe and would rather spend the £1500 on replacement than cause any harm to my house or family. Also I say this because the boiler makes funny noises when trying to operate the heat on low temps. It is as though if it is being deprived of gas.

So I was looking at Viessmann and Worcester boilers for replacement. Which do you guys recommend?

The make of boiler is lesss important but I recxommend you use another engineer rather than the one who was there 6 hours and the boiler didn't work but started when he left.

The boiler has been having issues for sometime now and I no longer wish to put up with it breaking down every other month. The cost to get an engineer out and get things replaced is a hard pill to swallow. So I have decided that a new boiler would be the best choice, installed by a trained an engineer. There hasn't been just one engineer in the past, several have tried to fine tune the boiler and have said similar things.

As of now the boiler currently works fine after a spark plug change and is providing both domestic hot water and heating. However, life becomes difficult when it decides to completely shut-down, especially since it is winter.

They very rarely fail on that model. I dont remember ever changing one on a selection of about 20,000 boilers!

Number will be down this week. London buses, are they not on strike :confused:

The Biasi M110-32 is one of the most stable premix boilers ever sold.

As long as the ignition electrodes are correctly set to 4 mm then they are never any problem.

BUT that's assuming the gas supply is within specification but of course that applies to any boiler.

If the gas pipe run is over about 5-6m then its most likely that some 28 mm tube should have been used.

Do you know if any of them checked the inlet pressure on full load?

Tony

PS
If gas valves were a significant problem then I would have changed some on those 20,000 of that model.

The boiler had worked absolutely fine for 4 years then the issues started but it has been functioning on and off for some 8 years now. The engineer who spent 6 hours did all the checks at the gas meter and at the gas valve and he would see the pressure drop when the boiler kicked into full drive. Mind you he said that the handle to switch off gas at meter was stiff and he had asked the meter company to come and replace that. So when that guy came he saw the pressure of gas at meter was a bit low and raised up a notch and since then the boiler has been working fine (The boiler guy had left until then).

However, the problem occurs when the boiler needs to modulate at low demand such as putting heating on lower temperatures. This the boiler struggles with and starts making gurgling noises and then would go into lock out mode indicating lack of gas.

It sounds as if they are not familiar with setting up the gas valve or that the gas pressure loss in the supply is too high.

Did any of them clean the input filter on the gas valve?

Tony

No, as far as I know none of them opened the gas valve at all. My concern is with safety as the guy who was here for 6 hours said seal this boiler down and get it replaced without any explanations why. The boiler has been in operation as it is a necessity in winter and therefore I am seeking advice from experts like yourself.

I had personally also bought secondary heat exchanger and replaced it as the boiler was locking out due to heat being built up. I told this to the engineer and he wasn't having any of it. So after spending 6 hours the engineer gave up and I politely showed him the door without a dime as he had fixed nothing. He was actually asking for £200 before he began and said he wouldn't be replacing any parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back