Windscreen cover seems to be setting off my car alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a foil covered windscreen cover at the weekend which is secured by two "flaps" that you trap with the front doors.

I have a Toyota Celica. I put the cover on last night as a hard frost was forecast. As I placed the cover on the windscreen my car alarm went off. At the time I assumed that I'd touched the buttons on the key fob or something, but since the cover has been on the alarm has gone off several times - Which has never happened before.

Does anyone have any idea why the presence of the windscreen cover should be setting off the alarm ? .

:confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could it be allowing draughts in, or are the securing flaps moving at all? Air movement inside is one of the main offenders, so try closing all of the vents where you can.
If the alarm triggered as you were putting the cover on, that would suggest the system has a movement sensor built in.
John :)

Thanks John,

I've done a bit more searching around the internet and I'm not alone in having this problem....

As the alarm went off as I put the cover on, like you I reckon that it was either the motion being sensed or the sensors seeing an obstruction that caused the alarm to go off. Not sure what caused it to go off several times after that - The door appeared to be sealed as good as without the "flaps" in place but maybe slight movement of the flaps was responsible.

I'll have to abandon the idea of covering the windscreen. I can't leave the car unlocked and I can'y be having spurious alarms during the night . :cry:

Sponsored Links
My car allow the doors to be locked with internal sensors turned off to allow you to leave a dog in the car without it setting off the alarm, check you handbook , may be on your vehicle?

Back