Cost for power flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mum's system is covered by BG contract.

Very noisy ineficient boiler. Engineer came to resolve, and service. He says heat exchanger cannot get rid of the heat fast enough due to blockages. He removed the pump, and cleared a pipe blockage there (pump works fine) but thinks more blockage further up cold feed, and in exchanger.

He'll clear the cold feed so he can complete the service (boiler not running long enough for him to get readings), but that after this BG will not come back unless power flush compketed. Cost around £800!!

1) What would an independant charge for PF?
2) Anyone know if BG will continue normal cover/call-outs if someone else does the PF?

Sponsored Links
That's only a BG price which probably gives him some commission if you accepted it.

Most independents charge about £350. You don't put your location on your profile so regional variations cannot be considered in your case.

BG will normally accept an independent power flush.

It could well be that your system is quite badly affected by hard deposits which the usual power flush would not dislodge without aggressive acidic chemicals.

Again you have not identified your boiler model so we cannot be more specific in that respect.

Tony

It's a Glow Worm 30 hx1 (condensing).

North London.

Related Q: how long does a powerflush take?

How long is a piece of string? You haven't said how big the house is, how many radiators there are etc

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string? You haven't said how big the house is, how many radiators there are etc
Well my piece of string is 32.5" long.

4 bed house.
13 rads.
etc.

(Let me know what the 'etc' is and I'll answer!)

I would expect to be there most of the day, a long day if it's bad.

£350 plus VAT is pretty average for upto 10 rads, I would expect a bit more for a 13 rad system

So the BR Gas engineer gave me a pep talk on power flushing. It seems to make sense but I'd appreciate comment from Independant engineers.....

Reasons he gave why BG Power Flush costs more:

1) Lifetime guarantee. Never need another PF (as long as we maintain the monthly contract!)

2) 'Proper' PF takes full day because
a) switch off all radiators, attach pump to system and pump out boiler only.
b) turn on one radiator, and pump out. Switch off rad
c) turn on 2nd radiator, and pump out. Switch off rad
d) repeat for all rads
e) turn pump round so water circulates in opposite direction, and repeat all above process (this removes dirt that was caught on corners or sides of rads)

3) cheaper engineers will
a) just attach pump and leave it running on whole system (as opposed to doing each rad seperately)
b) not reverse the pump
c) thus take half a day and do 2 jobs per day

Drain down and remove each rad and flush through in the garden with the garden hose while hitting the rear of the rad with a rubber hammer.

Or for the price of a BG power flush- buy new radiators

Andy

Like any job it will come down to the individual carrying out the task both on competence and willingness to do a good job

If you choose an independent, it will be cheaper and, YOU will be choosing the engineer.

If you choose BG you takes your luck on who turns up and you will pay more for the privilige of having a shny blue van on your drive.

They do have some very good engineers as well as bad.

Cheaper engineers?

an independent will be earning more for theyre day than the PAYE BG engineer. So if it's a matter of financial reward for a day's work....

Drain down and remove each rad and flush through in the garden with the garden hose while hitting the rear of the rad with a rubber hammer.

Or for the price of a BG power flush- buy new radiators

Andy
Seems a much better value solution, but

a) I don't have the time (or confdence - I always end up with leaks when I try plumbing!)
b) what about the boiler/Heat Exchanger?

Like any job it will come down to the individual carrying out the task both on competence and willingness to do a good job
'
True. Just interested if the process described is sensible? Usual? Should one ask an engineer if he'll do the same and if he describes something else, is he (dare I say it?) a 'cowboy

So the BR Gas engineer gave me a pep talk on power flushing. It seems to make sense but I'd appreciate comment from Independant engineers.....

Reasons he gave why BG Power Flush costs more:

1) Lifetime guarantee. Never need another PF (as long as we maintain the monthly contract!)

2) 'Proper' PF takes full day because
a) switch off all radiators, attach pump to system and pump out boiler only.
b) turn on one radiator, and pump out. Switch off rad
c) turn on 2nd radiator, and pump out. Switch off rad
d) repeat for all rads
e) turn pump round so water circulates in opposite direction, and repeat all above process (this removes dirt that was caught on corners or sides of rads)

3) cheaper engineers will
a) just attach pump and leave it running on whole system (as opposed to doing each rad seperately)
b) not reverse the pump
c) thus take half a day and do 2 jobs per day

Frankly, from experience, the reverse is probably true. Ask the independent if he would mind explaining the process. You could read this and perhaps ask him if this is his routine (maybe print off): http://www.kamco.co.uk/QuickGuide.html

BTW,reversing the pump isn't what it sounds like - the machine actually has a lever that reverses the flow, so it is ridiculous to suggest that an independent will not do this.

The only good thing about BG is the "lifetime" warranty - but then you are trapped into a scheme that many decide to remove themselves from. would the LW apply if you had anew boiler fitted by an independent?

The lifetime warranty is a huge peace of mind for many with any further sludge related fault covered including a full repipe if needed and as many flushes as needed in future. Depends what future plans are.

Different engineers would use different techniques based on experience and the system

Any engineer should correct any faults on the system that might cause corrosion whilst there and if the system is flushed properly, inhibitor levels maintained.

it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back