Bathroom light switch issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I am hoping someone out there can help me....
My bathroom light switch (pull cord) no longer switches the light off - just making it dimmer. It is constantly making a fizzing noise and there is a burning smell coming from it. Removing the bulb has not stopped the fizzing/ burning smell. Does this sound like a switch problem or a light fitting problem? We have switched the breaker off which has stopped the noise/ smell but is obviously not an ideal solution. One other thing - a month or so ago we had a water leak through the ceiling into this bathroom - could this be related (maybe getting into the switch somehow?).

Thank-you!

Sponsored Links
get an electrician to replace the switch ASAP

The sizzling is the interior of the switch arcing. This will continue to damage the switch, the wiring and possibly the ceiling . In the worse case you could have more than a kilowatt of heat being created in that switch without the breaker tripping and that is a serious fire risk.

DO IT NOW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back