Elec Shower trips when OFF

I have visually checked the length of wiring as well now and can find no issues.
That's good, and doesn't really surprise me. Have you been able to examine the entire length of the cables - from CU to isolator, and from isolator to shower (the latter would slightly surprise me, since I would have expected at least some to be 'buried')?
Decided to change the isolator switch (again!) this time for a 50amp MK.
Fair enough, but, in the absence of any visible damage/overheating, and the fact that trips arise when the isolator has not been operated, I would be very surprised if that made any difference.
If issue persists after this will call in an electrician (again!) to check and maybe change the MCB.
Fair enough. As you know, that's where my greatest suspicions lie. Don't forget to make sure that the electrician undertakes IR tests - they will very probably be normal, but they ought to be done.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping JohnW is about, or someone who can help.

In regards to this problem would the wiring being next to a central heating pipe be causing this issue?

I'm hoping JohnW is about, or someone who can help. ... In regards to this problem would the wiring being next to a central heating pipe be causing this issue?
I would very much doubt it - but the state of the wiring is one thing that the electrician will check - hence, for example, the required IR tests.

Kind Regards, John

I've now had a electrician do the relevant IR tests.

He at first viewing the wiriing he said that he thought the fault would be that the wire was not the correct size....but after doing the tests he says the wire, although not giving the best results was doing the job and is not the issue.

Everything else was checked and no issues found.

He has recommended changing MCB.

But should I be concerned about the wire?

Sponsored Links
I've now had a electrician do the relevant IR tests. ... He at first viewing the wiriing he said that he thought the fault would be that the wire was not the correct size....but after doing the tests he says the wire, although not giving the best results was doing the job and is not the issue. ... But should I be concerned about the wire?
I don't really undrstand what he was talking about. Unless the cable were so undersized that it had melted, I can't really see how it could explain what you have experienced!
Everything else was checked and no issues found. ... After listening to my suggestions he is going to replace the MCB.
Given that the tests are all OK, I'm pleased to hear that, since (as I've been saying) it's such a simple, quick and cheap thing to do. Although there are clearly no certainties, I think it is pretty likely that it will cure the problem - not the least because there is 'not much left to blame'!

Kind Regards, John

For anyone who searches and reads this post......the problem was a faulty MCB switch. Even the electrician who replaced it said its very rare, but that was the issue.

Thanks for all the advice especially JohnW

For anyone who searches and reads this post......the problem was a faulty MCB switch. Even the electrician who replaced it said its very rare, but that was the issue. Thanks for all the advice especially JohnW
You're welcome, and I'm glad it's been sorted out. As you know, although it seems fairly unusual for them to become faulty (although, since we can't really test them, it may be more common than we think!), the MCB seemed to me to be the most likely culprit!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back