no hot water through central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have recently changed my 3 port valve because I was not getting any hot water via central heating, I had to use immersion only. I assumed it was the valve stuck in heating position only as the manual lever on the valve was floppy and not doing anything. it was quite old valve and hasn't been replaced for years. so put new valve on tested heating which was fine but pump did not start up when I changed it to water only. the Honeywell controller light came on but that's all. Have I changed this for nothing and is it possibly a fault wiTh my boiler ( glowworm micron )

Sponsored Links
If the radiators are getting hot then the boiler is working, so no problem there. The motorised valve at rest sits in the hot water position anyway, so it is unlikely to be that.

The first place to check is the hot water cylinder thermostat. With the central heating set 'off' and hot water set 'on' at the programmer, turn the cylinder thermostat to minimum and then slowly up to maximum. Can you hear it click as you do so? and if it does, does the boiler fire when it's turned up? The water in the cylinder must have cooled when you try this. If it's hot because of being heated by the immersion this won't work.

If it does click but nothing happens, then it will be necessary to check the wiring with a multimeter, is this something you have and would be able to use if you were told what to do with it?

as the manual lever on the valve was floppy and not doing anything.
That's as it should be when the valve is energised, shows that it's working.

Thanks

just tried turning cylinder stat back, as I did got to about 30/40 and heard the motorised valve move. started turning up slowly heard click but nothing happened

OK. In hot water only mode, the boiler is controlled by the cylinder thermostat. So for some reason it would appear not to be doing that.

There is one more thing you can try if you don't have test equipment, but it will involve disconnecting some wiring from the cylinder thermostat. if you feel able to continue, post details of the type of cylinder thermostat you have.

I'm assuming that the system has worked OK at some point in the past, and that the only thing you have done is to swap the motorised valve over. In other words, that all of the wiring is as it should be.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a Honeywell L641A and if you have a 3-port valve, you will need three wires at the cylinder stat as follows:

C. Live from programmer
1. Switched 'hot water required' live to boiler
2. Switched live for 'hot water not required' signal to motorised valve

So one wire is missing and it looks as if the one that is there isn't doing what it should.

Unfortunately it looks as if the whole wiring arrangement will need checking out. Can you tell what the other end of the blue wire is connected to? It looks to be the grey wire of the motorised valve, if so, that's wrong that should be in terminal 2 at the cylinder stat. And what about the disconnected (earth?) wire, where does that go at the other end? You may have to follow the wiring in and out of the wiring centre.

Yes blue wire in with grey wire from valve
Well that's the 'hot water not required' signal that closes off the hot water port on the valve. So, totally wrong. It will close the hot water port on the valve when hot water is actually required. That should be connected to terminal 2.

But the cylinder stat comes already wired doesnt it?
No it doesn't

Apparently was told earth did not have to be connected
That is correct. That is why I asked where the other end went. Often it is used (incorrectly) for one of the live wires.

I have a Drayton mid position valve
Then you will need all three connections

ok. so would you be able to tale me through the wiring from stat to terminals. for a start is the wiring in the stat correct, if not what goes where and do I need to connect the yellow wire to one of those terminals. I don't know how it could've gone so wrong

The wire going into terminal 'C' should come from the programmer Hot Water 'on' connection. Usually this is the brown wire, so this may be OK, but check it if you can.

The wire going into terminal '2' should be the blue wire (presently in terminal 1) that ends up connected to the grey wire at the motorised valve.

The wire going into terminal '1' should go to the boiler switched live supply. Now it could be that the green / yellow (earth) wire has been used for this, which is why you need to check where it actually goes at the other end. If it does go to the boiler switched live, this should then go into terminal 1 of the cylinder thermostat. But do not make this connection, until you are sure it does, otherwise you could cause damage to other components.

Here's a link to a wiring diagram. Yours is a 'Y Plan' click on the respective schematics and you will see what should be happening depending upon the status of the system. Schematic Wiring Diagram

I don't know how it could've gone so wrong
Only the person that did it would be able to explain that.

ok i'll look through it . the yellow/green wire isn't wired at either end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back