Fixing a wonky light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the multiple posts but it's a bit of a decorating and electrical question.

this light switch couldn't be any worse. it works at least but it's wonky in every direction. i'm prepping the wall and wondered if anyone has any experience of fixing a switch like this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
turn of lecky at main switch

carefully dig out and remove existing box

cut out new hole in wall and refit box

plaster up with quick set filler

have cup of tea while filler sets

rewire and turn on lecky

have another cup of tea

thanks for the info. really helpful. i'm not sure what to expect when i come to moving the box. how easy will it move? and wondering why it's been placed so badly in the first place.... maybe they couldn't get deep enough for some reason? still no excuse for not using a spirit level but it's the case for most of the house really.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
When you take it all out and need to reset the metal back box you can use a drill and honeycomb the back with multiple drill holes.

If you need to drill (say) 20mm, wrap some insulation tape or gaffs tape 20mm up from the drill tip as a marker.

Most will do a row of holes 5-10mm apart around the whole perimeter of the box footprint and then holes everywhere within the perimeter.

I idea being that with a bolster or old chisel you chip away the brick or plaster around the holes for a clean area for the box to mount on. The holes lessen the amount of harsh hammering required and avoid blown areas occurring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back