Flex used in walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a house of roughly 5 years old which the previous occupier added a socket beneath the work surface for the tumble dryer which they had in this location. However, when I looked closer at how this was done I discovered that instead of the usual 2.5mm twin and earth cable being fed to the socket I discovered flex instead. On further inspection, the FCU above the counter is also fed by flex and joins to the double socket next to it with flex which itself is also fed by flex. Inspecting some of the other sockets in the kitchen revealed them to be how I expected to see them with 2.5mm twin and earth cable. I can draw a diagram later but my first question is it within regulations for the flex to be in use here as I've described?

Kind regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
What I would be worrying about in your shoes is what kind of ****-ups exist elsewhere in your electrical installation if it's been fiddled with by the sort of person who would use flex instead of T&E.

What I would be worrying about in your shoes is what kind of ****-ups exist elsewhere in your electrical installation if it's been fiddled with by the sort of person who would use flex instead of T&E.

Interesting response. From that I take it you wouldn't approve of this, which was my instinct to it too. It might surprise you more to learn that I was informed the previous owner is an electrician, certainly his name or business name is on the Part P certificate we received for the electrical work that was done when they added the conservatory.

Well a picture tells a thousand words as they say so I've put together a diagram of the situation I've uncovered today. I had thought originally that all that had been done was an FCU had been added along with a socket beneath the counter. I am now rather perplexed as to why both the double socket and the FCU are both being fed by separate pieces of Flex.

ZzwXhKg.jpg

Kind regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
I'm confused by your markings supply and load.

Where is the start of this bit of the circuit?

What size is the flex?

Hi, are you sure the wiring is not contained in conduit ? And the 'flex' you refer to is not just singles?

Picture may help :)

Regards, DS

I'm confused by your markings supply and load.

Where is the start of this bit of the circuit?

What size is the flex?

I've currently no idea where Flex #1 and Flex #2 come from, other than they feed into the top of the pattress box. They appear to be on the Kitchen circuit due to no power on these when switched off at the CU.

My markings for Load and Supply relate to the rear of the FCU.

I've removed Flex #3 linking the FCU with the socket beneath the counter but this has no readable information on it. It measures about 1cm across its diameter and I would say each separate core measures about 3 mm including its coloured jacket.

Kind regards
Justin

Providing its in the enclosure, Ie the dualbox, single insulation is fine , though if possible i sometimes leave a little outer insulation on as theres a remote chance someone could stick something through the very slight gap between the two front plates, though its not essential.

Though if the dualbox has a metal divider, then the cable should really be protected where it passes through, by grommet or at least the outer sheath

Are you sure
Flex 1 and 2 is likely both connected to the supply in
Flex 3 proberly supply out to the single socket

Hi, are you sure the wiring is not contained in conduit ? And the 'flex' you refer to is not just singles?

Picture may help :)

Regards, DS

Definitely no conduit unless it's further up inside the wall. However, from my experience of the rest of the house, the original house builder didn't put T&E through conduit, its clipped to block work on the outer walls and rather unhelpfully dot and dabbed over in places.

Kind regards
Justin

Providing its in the enclosure, Ie the dualbox, single insulation is fine , though if possible i sometimes leave a little outer insulation on as theres a remote chance someone could stick something through the very slight gap between the two front plates, though its not essential.

Though if the dualbox has a metal divider, then the cable should really be protected where it passes through, by grommet or at least the outer sheath

It does have a metal divider, although I think this was just a plate at the front of the pattress box rather than a wall between both sides of the pattress box.

Kind regards
Justin

Not that I suppose it makes a massive amount of difference as far as functioning goes, those supply and load arrangements are clearly incorrect.

Can you send photos?

Are there any 2.5 mm twin and earth cables there?

It does have a metal divider, although I think this was just a plate at the front of the pattress box rather than a wall between both sides of the pattress box.

Yes, thats to support the lugs to fix the fronts,
Normally theres no divider and you buy them seperately, i think there more for when you have mains on one side and data etc on the other side.

As long as the single sheaths not buried in plaster or on rough metal that seems fine.
good practise is that the outer sheath enters the enclosure.
Once inside you can remove at will

You say the place is 5 years old?

Could it be that this is simply an addition or alteration?

Could it be that the original socket has been relocated, and the cables extended with a buried or hidden joint?

Photos would help.

At this stage we need to know the size of these flexes.

Are you sure
Flex 1 and 2 is likely both connected to the supply in
Flex 3 proberly supply out to the single socket

I'm not sure what you're asking me here?

At the socket end of the Flex which is the only end I can access at present, Flex #1 is connected to the double socket as one would expect in terms of connections.

There are separate cores from a piece of Flex that no longer has its' outer on connecting the double socket to the FCU, the Neutral connects to the Load of the FCU and the Live connects to the Supply of the FCU.

The Live from Flex #2 connects to the Supply of the FCU and the Neutral from Flex #2 connects to the Load of the FCU.

The Live from Flex #3 connects to Load of the FCU and Neutral from Flex #3 connects to Supply of the FCU.

Kind regards
Justin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back