Flex used in walls?

Sponsored Links
Not that I suppose it makes a massive amount of difference as far as functioning goes,

It would if there was a neon indicater on the unit as the DP switch would not be fully isolating the neutral from the load

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!! :D

But, op, it would seem the neutrals are mixed up at the fused spur.

I'm not sure what you're asking me here?

You are describing a basic ring circuit incorparating the twin socket and the FCU.
The single socket is a spur from the ring using the fcu I assume as a control switch
If its 2.5 flex im not sure why you doubt its correct

The FCU basically sounds as if it has the neutrals connected wrong way around or you have misread the markings

Not that I suppose it makes a massive amount of difference as far as functioning goes, those supply and load arrangements are clearly incorrect.

Can you send photos?

Are there any 2.5 mm twin and earth cables there?

It certainly didn't look right to me hence it raised my interest as to what's going on.

I'd like to make sure the supply and load are correct since a large microwave is used in the double socket as well as a kettle. The socket beneath the counter is intended for the integrated tumble dryer so there's a fair amount of consumption going on in one area of which the tumble dryer could be on for a fair amount of time.

Apart from the supply and load configuration of the FCU I'm rather worried and perplexed to why the Flex #1 and Flex #2 exist at all. I was expecting to find an existing double socket with T&E which had been added to with the FCU being connected from the double socket to the supply terminals and the under counter socket for the appliance connected to the load terminals. I want to ensure the FCU is protecting the tumble dryer but as I say I'm perplexed as to why the double socket doesn't have two ends of T&E connecting to it.

Although I cannot find any T&E it would seem odd for there not to have been some sort socket fitted at this location originally as there are no other sockets at that end of the kitchen.

I can take some pictures tomorrow but it is back together now before it got dark so I could turn the electricity back on. Flex #3 has been removed for the time being as I would prefer it all to be T&E.

Kind regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
Hi, the less hassle option is that you find flex and t+e at two sockets near by,the pain in tha as……option is that there are two hidden joint boxes connecting t+e to flex :(

DS

I was expecting to find an existing double socket with T&E which had been added to with the FCU being connected from the double socket to the supply terminals and the under counter socket for the appliance connected to the load terminals.

Kind regards
Justin

That would be the case if the fcu was spurred from the double socket.

As said if the double socket AND the fcu were both on the ring, then flex 1 could be one leg and flex 2 the other leg

You say the place is 5 years old?

Could it be that this is simply an addition or alteration?

Could it be that the original socket has been relocated, and the cables extended with a buried or hidden joint?

Photos would help.

At this stage we need to know the size of these flexes.

Certainly an alteration as I doubt the FCU and under counter socket were there originally. I believe the previous owner had a push in tumble dryer there and that they did this work for that as they also added the vent to the outside, none of which I believe is standard to the property's original construction. It's hard to see that the socket would have been relocated from anywhere above where Flex #1 and Flex #2 appear to come from as there are wall cupboards above which match the rest of the kitchen.

I didn't think a buried joint was allowed, or would this be OK if they have used a maintenance free junction box?

Kind regards
Justin

Hi, the less hassle option is that you find flex and t+e at two sockets near by,the pain in tha as……option is that there are two hidden joint boxes connecting t+e to flex :(

DS

Something along the lines of the latter seems to be most likely. The only other sockets visible that are nearby is the one for the gas boiler and the cooker. The cooker is on its own circuit and I know when I switch the kitchen socket circuit off it turns off electricity to the sockets in the diagram as well as the boiler.

If they have joined flex to T&E in a junction box(s) is that allowed?

Kind regards
Justin

There was no MF junction boxes available 5 years ago
Maintenance free joints were limited to crimping, soldering and such like

I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner added the cabinets at the end of the kitchen as I think my neighbour has an american fridge freezer at that end of their kitchen but shall have to call on them tomorrow to see which side it is on. Maybe there was once a socket higher up on the wall for a fridge freezer but this has been altered to extend the run of cabinets right the way along.

My concern would be the cable size, if its 2.5mm flex i would not be too bothered, but if its 1.5mm i would want to replace it. Check the wiring to the boiler supply it may be linked there ?

Regards,

DS

If it turns out my neighbour has a fridge freezer on the same wall as my problem I may be able to get some coordinates of that socket, presumably somewhere behind one of three wall cabinets that I have.

My concern would be the cable size, if its 2.5mm flex i would not be too bothered, but if its 1.5mm i would want to replace it. Check the wiring to the boiler supply it may be linked there ?

Regards,

DS

Would a photo of it be enough for you to be able to tell if it is 2.5mm? Each core measures about 3mm in diameter including its jacket.

Kind regards
Justin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back