Flex used in walls?

Thanks for everyone's input, I shall have to digest what this means for us tomorrow when we consider our options.

Kind regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
My concern would be the cable size, if its 2.5mm flex i would not be too bothered, but if its 1.5mm i would want to replace it. Check the wiring to the boiler supply it may be linked there ?

Regards,

DS

Would a photo of it be enough for you to be able to tell if it is 2.5mm? Each core measures about 3mm in diameter including its jacket.

Kind regards
Justin

Probably.

We can tell a lot from photos.

screenshot_335.jpg
That doesn't make any sense at all.

Bas, the OP is aware that the load and supply are marked wrongly on his diagram :)

DS

Sponsored Links
Bas, the OP is aware that the load and supply are marked wrongly on his diagram :)

DS

I think he confirmed the diagram IS correct
The FCU is connected wrong

The Live from Flex #2 connects to the Supply of the FCU and the Neutral from Flex #2 connects to the Load of the FCU.

The Live from Flex #3 connects to Load of the FCU and Neutral from Flex #3 connects to Supply of the FCU.

Apart from anything else you don't feed a single socket with a FCU. The tumble dryer plug has a fuse and having two 13A fuses in line means both will blow if there is a fault. The FCU should be replaced with a suitable switch if you require local isolation.

Apart from anything else you don't feed a single socket with a FCU. The tumble dryer plug has a fuse and having two 13A fuses in line means both will blow if there is a fault. The FCU should be replaced with a suitable switch if you require local isolation.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about this.

Maybe true - but, at worst, that would represent a once-in-a-blue-moon minor inconvenience - how often do you expect any fuse in the feed to a tumble dyer to blow? Furthermore, it's surprising how often only one of two 13A fuses in series blows, so it might not even happen on that 'once-in-a-blue-moon' occasion!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe true - but, at worst, that would represent a once-in-a-blue-moon minor inconvenience - how often do you expect any fuse in the feed to a tumble dyer to blow? Furthermore, it's surprising how often only one of two 13A fuses in series blows, so it might not even happen on that 'once-in-a-blue-moon' occasion!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, and one would have to remove the appliance to undertake the repair and replace the plug fuse if required :LOL:

Regards,

DS

Yes, and one would have to remove the appliance to undertake the repair and replace the plug fuse if required :LOL:
Quite so - and, in any event, I don't really understand all the excitement about 13A fuses blowing. Over the years/decades, I've had many domestic appliance die (and hence need repairing or replacing) but, off the top of my head, I can't actually recall any occasion on which a 13A fuse (in plug or elsewhere) blew as a result of the appliance's problem. I'm sure it occasionally happens, but seemingly not very often!

Kind Regards, John

Hi, 32a DP fairly common practice in the 90's kitchen :)

Infact my mums kitchen was fitted with 20a!

Regards,

DS

I dont do domestic work but I thought it wss debatable about connecting them to a ring circuit

What suitable switch would that be, if the FCU turns out to be part of the Ring circuit
Hi, 32a DP fairly common practice in the 90's kitchen :) ... Infact my mums kitchen was fitted with 20a!
Quibblers aside, if the only thing on the load side of the switch is one single socket (hence a 13A max fuse), then I think one would struggle to produce a sensible electrical argument against inserting a 20A switch into a 32A ring or radial (and people do it all the time with those collections of 'kitchen grid switches'!). ... and, in case someone is thinking of that one, I do not personally believe that the regs are saying that only "accessories to BS1363" may be inserted in a ring final.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back