Always wanted to drive a motorbike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I fairly new around here so take it easy. I recently remembered that I always wanted to drive a motorbike. I want to pass my test soon but I am not sure what's the best bike to go for as my first. I always wanted a honda hornet - naked (like the one in the image) but I'm not sure if it's the right one. I was wondering what everybody thinks the pros and cons are for driving a motorbike especially driving a honda. I have to mention that I am no fan of very sport motorcycles, I'm old school (I'm not young either ) :D
Any advice or tips is highly appreciated. Cheers! Dave

Sponsored Links
Depends on whether you want to buy new, I guess but the older Honda CB500
was an excellent bike, an in line liquid cooled twin.
The usual Honda build quality - and no other manufacturer can equal that, very forgiving with good handling and brakes. The S model had a small handlebar fairing.
Of course, check the legislation to see if the 33bhp rule still applies, and a training school will give you the nod here regarding tests.
John :)

. I was wondering what everybody thinks the pros and cons are for driving a motorbike

Pros:
- it's endless fun and you never get stuck in traffic....
I've been riding 10 years...the last 7 I've ridden more or less every day and never get bored of it. in fact... It's made driving cars become quite annoying for me!
- the biking community is great, no matter what you ride/how old you are etc there seems to be a great camaraderie among bikers that you don't get with most car drivers
-it's very addictive (also see cons)

Cons:
- riding through winter can get a pretty cold at times.
-Falling off is not much fun!
-it's very addictive = you spend more £££'s on bike related products

I've had a hornet for a few years now and use it every day. I've done about 34k miles on it and can't really fault it.
Easy to maintain, great reliability and ideal for riding in town and also quite capable for a run out in the country on some quick open roads

Sponsored Links
Hell Rob do you ride through the winter?? You must be made of tough stuff
:p
Mine's tucked away (VFR1200) and hopefully will appear around March.
Try a trip to France? Brill roads, brill people, traffic cops with no sense of humour and a cannon on the waist :p

Hell Rob do you ride through the winter?? You must be made of tough stuff
:p
Mine's tucked away (VFR1200) and hopefully will appear around March.
Try a trip to France? Brill roads, brill people, traffic cops with no sense of humour and a cannon on the waist :p

Yes ive ridden through the last five winters. I only leave the bike at home if its snowing or icy on the roads. Its not too bad so long as you have decent winter gear to stay warm and dry.

Icebound for the last 3 weeks here - the drive concrete just became visible today.
I've always liked Hein Gericke stuff so far but I don't have heated grips or anything.

. I was wondering what everybody thinks the pros and cons are for driving a motorbike

Pros:
- it's endless fun and you never get stuck in traffic....
I've been riding 10 years...the last 7 I've ridden more or less every day and never get bored of it. in fact... It's made driving cars become quite annoying for me!
- the biking community is great, no matter what you ride/how old you are etc there seems to be a great camaraderie among bikers that you don't get with most car drivers
-it's very addictive (also see cons)

Cons:
- riding through winter can get a pretty cold at times.
-Falling off is not much fun!
-it's very addictive = you spend more £££'s on bike related products

I've had a hornet for a few years now and use it every day. I've done about 34k miles on it and can't really fault it.
Easy to maintain, great reliability and ideal for riding in town and also quite capable for a run out in the country on some quick open roads

Thanks so much for this guys! I am now decided and I am going to get a hornet, it just suits me :mrgreen: Hopefully, by Summer I'll be all ready. I do agree that during winter it can get quite dangerous and I don't want to risk...too much :rolleyes: I just hope it won't make me spend too much £££ but if it does, at least I got myself a hobby

Good choice Dave......it should have Hondas typical build quality and be well looked after.
I've had 3 Blackbirds, and rue the day when they stopped making them.....I put a Scottoiler on each one which was an excellent move. A mate bought it, now 23k on the original chain......that's the smoothness of the in line four for you.
The VFR has shaft drive within the single sided swing arm......brilliant bit of engineering but clonks like hell.
Enjoy! Send us a pic.

Just make sure that you get all the proper safety gear. It is likely that you will at some point come of your bike, and also likely it won't be your fault, but invesiting in protective clothing will save your life :D Good luck!

Lots of good advice there Dave.

I've got a Yamaha 850 triple. Did 2500 mile round trip to France in 2013. Wonderful!

Trouble is, as I age, I get weaker.

I took a long time to research and then buy a Honda Deauville and learnt something I didn't expect.

Although both bikes weigh about the same the fore and aft layout of the Honda twin makes it much easier to handle than the Yamaha at slow speeds.

You're going to love it but a word of warning, if you haven't got your motorcycle licence and have to take your tests, (yes tests!), then you will have to make special arrangements to be able to ride a machine of more than 125cc, and only then if you are accompanied by a specialized teacher on his own bike and usually in radio comminication with you.

My wife is going through this at the momentl

Don't let that put you off :D

Best of luck

Chris

Would that be the TDM 850, Chris? A classic in its own right!
The Deauville layout does tend to give a narrower saddle - and it has good balance.
Spring beckons! :p

Hi Burner, no, it is the XS850 H triple jobby.

I had the XS750 back in the early 80s and just loved it so when an opportunity arose to own it's big brother I leapt at it.

Trouble is I'm 75 now and not as strong as I was in my 40s so I've dropped the yam a few times, always at a standstill but always with gravel or loose footing. Get the yam a few degrees off vertical on slippery underfoot and down she goes.

The Honda has a lower c of g and a much narrower engine and just isn't a problem at all.

Regards

Chris

Ah yes, the shaft drive one - quite a heavy bike if I remember it!
Before this VFR I bought an ST 1300 Pan Euro, having had 3 ST1100's in the past.
With this one, 99 times out of 100 I got things right, but just slightly off balance and it was a date with the Tarmac ....right outside a McDonalds in France, dammit - guaranteed audience! I just wasn't confident on that one so it had to go.
This year, it's a trip to the Somme and then to Sarlat (Dordogne) in August :cool:
Ride safe

Falling off when there's nobody looking is OK sort of, but in front of KFC, Mac or Costa is a nono.

Pay attention now, don't do it again :D

Sponsored Links
Back