Hot water cylinder insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The manufacturer-sprayed insulation on my hot water cylinder has peeled away so there is a gap exposing the metal. What can I safely use to refix it or perhaps more realistically fill the gap with & maintain the insulation value that is fire/heat safe?

Sponsored Links
Just wrap it round with duct tape plus another jacket if you want.....no fire risk.
John :)

Some of the section has split and separated completely from the tank and been chewed by the mice :rolleyes: Think I'll need more than duct tape!

Sponsored Links
Hm. Ok suspected a big air gap would still exist and the section based tank jackets are generally pretty loose for an air seal.

Just tie it on tight.....we used to use old blankets in the days of yore.
All will be fine with minimal heat loss.
John :)

If you don't want to add a new jacket as well suggested above and you really want to fill the gap then some expanding foam would probably do the job. Just be careful and use small amounts, let it fully expand into the gap before adding more.

Ok Thanks all...I'll have a look for a jacket and try that first. I have some old aluminium tape about - I presume that ought to be ideal for lagging gaps in the pipe joints around the tank.

How much is jacket fit going to matter. I can see some cheap £10 screw fix jackets but they are larger than my tank in height. for 42x18 and my tank is I guess (without a measure) 36. It will pool at the bottom but as long as I can lash it tight on the tank itself shouldn't be a problem?

never mind the length - it's the girth that is more than 18" because of the sprayed lagging :idea: get the expanding foam ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back