Plumbing work experience/ apprenticeship

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My name is Gregg and I am retraining as a plumber in Leicester. I am in my 30's and would be grateful for any opportunities!

I am looking for someone to take me on as a plumbing apprentice or for some work experience so I can gain practical experience. I am willing to do this for free.

I have many skills that are exchangeable for this role and would be happy to discuss.

Sponsored Links
Hi Greg your probably best posting this in the plumbing and central heating section if you haven't already.

Free! There are lads round here paying plumbers to take them with them!

It's you who has to put yourself out etc. These short course company's charge £6000 odd to read a load of **** out of a book to you but expect the tradesmen to take you lot for free! Some even expect a wage! Sorry pal but your ship sailed years ago either come into at 16 straight from school or not at all! That's the general feel of a lot of gas engineers round my way now.

Sorry for the direct reply but some people think this trade is paved with gold and it's so not. It's like the taxis its flooded.

Some years ago there was a government initiative to provide free college courses to train plumbers and electricians. There was a stampede. Courses were oversubscribed 10:1. Nobody knows why the government thought there was a shortage of these tradesmen.

My advice would be to diversify. I believe there's currently a need for experts who can install signal cables such as coaxial and CAT5/6 in properties. The average electrician doesn't know how to do this correctly and certainly doesn't know how to calculate signal losses and potential for interference problems.

As a sideline, you could fit extra TV points, doorbells, phone extensions...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SU1ZBFA

Sponsored Links
Good advice about going in @ 16 - I did back in 1970 :LOL: BUT I was offered Gas or plumbing - Wish I'd had a crystal ball and seen the Gas Board sell off and CORGI etc. .. I did plumbing because @ the time Gas was screwed iron carcassing and fixing cookers and fires - and plumbing seemed more interesting :rolleyes: . I often wonder what "45 years a gasman" got up to :LOL:

Back