Bathroom sink cabinet - a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've had my new place for a few months, and I'm trying to add storage everywhere.

I am thinking about buying this cabinet to replace the sink, as I hear the Ikea Godmorgon range is pretty high quality. Do you think this is a good idea or asking for trouble. The tiles behind seem complete, but it is impossible to tell if the ones on the floor are complete. What do you think?

To further complicate things, I was also thinking of replacing the mirror with this mirror cabinet. Luckily its a few CM bigger in each direction, but is this going to be trouble? The current mirror is 18 cm above the sink, so I'd need to get a fairly short tap.

Thoughts positive or negative are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your project should be completely feasible, but sometimes IKEA stuff isn't so obliging when it comes to accessing the drain pipe etc.....the existing is solvent weld stuff.
Can you explain the mirror issue?
John :)

you appear to be thinking of putting a cabinet above the basin.

If any women move into your home, they will put glass jars and bottles into this cabinet. When they fall into the ceramic basin, they will crack or smash it.

Cabinets over basins are not a good idea.

You can put shelves or a cabinet on the adjacent wall if you like.

Thanks for your quick replies

Sometimes IKEA stuff isn't so obliging when it comes to accessing the drain pipe etc.....the existing is solvent weld stuff.
Can you recommend any brands in particular? I don't mind that much, I just want something that will still be ok in 5-10 years.

Can you explain the mirror issue?
As I can't pick how high the mirror cabinet should be mounted, I worry it will be too low and look a bit odd, and maybe the taps will feel difficult to reach under 14cm of cabinet. Ahh the joys of not having any replacement tiles...

you appear to be thinking of putting a cabinet above the basin.

If any women move into your home, they will put glass jars and bottles into this cabinet. When they fall into the ceramic basin, they will crack or smash it.

Cabinets over basins are not a good idea.

You can put shelves or a cabinet on the adjacent wall if you like.

An interesting point. Most mirror cabinets seem to be marketed as being installed in this way, however? Maybe they want to sell more replacement sinks in the future? I'm not sure I can face a second mirror in my rather compact bathroom, but I will consider your point.

Sponsored Links
No reason at all why you can't have your Ikea unit, just try to get a look around an assembled one in the store if you can - just to see how the access is once it's in place.
Like JohnD I don't like cabinets above the sink as they get in the way at shave time.
I guess it's just up to you at the end of the day!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back